_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
P-40M Kittyhawk III (sharkmouth) finished
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:03 AM UTC
:-) This is another model that has been on the go for some time. It is the Mauve kit and I bought it when it first came out. Because I just love the 112 Squadron sharkmouth markings, this kit went straight to the top of the build pile. I cannot say why it took me so long to finish it and it's not one of my best. It is finished in Xtracolor paints and kit decals. The painting was completed before I even thought to fade paint on subjects from hot climates, so I re-visited it and tried a light dry brushing with a light grey. It's OK but not as good as how I fade paint now. (See my Corsair currently on this board) :-)

Mal
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:09 AM UTC
Again, Mal looked awesome!!! Your planes are of them usual excellent standard, and the weathering is great.

May I ask for a favour, since I am about to do some plane for the BoB campaign, and I seems to get the modern plane cockpit part down, but don't know what to do with WW II planes, can you shoot some pic of the cockpits of your plane so I can have some reference. Thanks Mal in advance.

Your planes are simply breath-taking!!!! Or it's that I had caught SARS? Geez!!!! Nurse, I think I need a mouth to mouth here!!! Nurse....
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:12 AM UTC
Very nice job - again. I like the dusty weathering, very realistic.

SS - I have a book of nothing but cockpits. I'll update the post and or send a PM with Title etc. later when I get home .
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice job - again. I like the dusty weathering, very realistic.

SS - I have a book of nothing but cockpits. I'll update the post and or send a PM with Title etc. later when I get home .

Thanks Scott, really appreciate it!
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:18 AM UTC
I agree, the sharks mouth looks very cool on the p-40s, you modeled this ac very well, of course

Bender
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:31 AM UTC
Mal,
Your model of [insert aircraft name] as usual is excellent. I really like the way you did the [insert notable feature]. Keep up the good work.

Sorry, I couldn't resist creating a form post. LOL. Beautiful Warhawk, Mal. I like the P-40 a little more everytime I see it, especially when it's well done like this one.
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 06:23 AM UTC
That's great ! I love the P40 and when my kitpile goes down a bit I'll get myself one of the Eduard kits.
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 06:38 AM UTC
The P-40 is my favorite WW2 aircraft. The weathering is great. I can hear the engine roaring to life from the photos. Great work
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 07:50 AM UTC
:-) Thanks guys.
Dave

Quoted Text

May I ask for a favour, since I am about to do some plane for the BoB campaign, and I seems to get the modern plane cockpit part down, but don't know what to do with WW II planes, can you shoot some pic of the cockpits of your plane so I can have some reference. Thanks Mal in advance.

I can certainly try and get some pics but I don't add anything more than seat belts generally. I have dabbled with PE and I have got a couple of resin cockpits pending. If you let me know what aircraft you plan on doing I can give you the lowdown. Your skills with modern stuff will easily transfer over to WWII.

penpen

Quoted Text

love the P40 and when my kitpile goes down a bit I'll get myself one of the Eduard kits.

HHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have one of the Eduard kits, it's the same Mauve kit as this but with all the extras you could want. I've been trying to gather references off the net but can't find a good shot of the cockpit.
I will be doing this one with one of the skull schemes. They too look very good :-)
Mal
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 07:56 AM UTC
Awsome weathering .....

Nate
Wisc. USA
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 10:18 AM UTC
Mal, great as usual. I love looking in the scoop and seeing the coolers. I think your fading is very good.

If I had one thing negative to say (in a constructive way) I would say that in regards to the gun powder stains-they look heavy and airbrushed on. Your current models do not look that way.
ModlrMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:14 AM UTC
Great job. I too have one small point... the gunstains. Just the same, great kit.
HastyP
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 01:05 PM UTC
That is one beautiful plane. Very good work. I love it.
Bombshell
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 01:21 PM UTC
NOT ONE OF YOUR BEST?!?!?!?! All your aircraft models look awesome Mal! :-)

You should take a brake from all those wingy-thingys and build a tank sometime. May I suggest a T-34/85?

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 03:15 PM UTC
Mal, why is it that a model you are not completely happy with looks 1000% better than anything I've ever turned out?? #:-) #:-) . Great job. .

I guess I am just going to have to work my butt off to try and become as bad as you used to be (LOL). .

Mike

SniperSoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:48 PM UTC
GREAT BIRD HOLDFAST, CONGRATULATIONS
ROBERTO
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:46 AM UTC
:-) Bryan

Quoted Text

If I had one thing negative to say (in a constructive way) I would say that in regards to the gun powder stains-they look heavy and airbrushed on. Your current models do not look that way.

Absolutly right, these were done when my air brush was playing up and I didn't know why. can't alter them now though so I'm living with 'em

Reimund

Quoted Text

You should take a brake from all those wingy-thingys and build a tank sometime. May I suggest a T-34/85?

I am signed up for 2 armour campaigns and looking forward to doing them. Just a slight problem, my modelling time has become limited (comparatively) as I started work today
:-)

Mike

Quoted Text

Mal, why is it that a model you are not completely happy with looks 1000% better than anything I've ever turned out?? . Great job. .

Thanks Mike but I don't believe that for one minute :-) It's just that my techniques are better now than when I first started building it and as Bryan, rightly, points out the gun staining isn't as it could be. I like the subject and will eventually build another, the problem is there are so many that I want to build and years are getting fewer :-)
Mal
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 04:11 PM UTC
Once again you have built a piece of art, Mal...... Great job !!!!!!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 05:29 AM UTC
:-) Thanks Penny :-)
Mal
TankCarl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 10:28 AM UTC
Very well done,mal.I like the paint job,espescially.I like the heavy powder stains.to me this means this bird saw a lot of action.
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 11:19 AM UTC
Mal,

Great P-40. Looks super. If you truly aren't happy with the gun stains, may I suggest using pastel chalk powder? You can use this to blend and correct the stains until you are happy with them. I use them from time to time. For exhaust I will use some black, rust, and white... Just sand some powder off of the piece of chalk, then using a paint brush gently work the color in and around the area of the gun stains.

I think the stains look fine but if you want to fix them try this technique out on a piece of cardboard and then on your model...I thought that might be easier than doing a whole new model, but then again, we all need an excuse to do more models, right???

Just an idea.

Scott
SniperSoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 07:04 AM UTC
GREAT BIRD - CONGRATULATIONS - VERY NICE

ROBERTO
mrs_selrach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 225 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 09:54 AM UTC
The P-40 is awesome! I love the paint job and the weathering.. have you ever thought to put together and work on the Focker Triplane? I'd love to see the end result.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 07:20 AM UTC
:-) Plastic widow

Quoted Text

The P-40 is awesome! I love the paint job and the weathering.. have you ever thought to put together and work on the Focker Triplane? I'd love to see the end result.

Thanks.
I wouldn't mind having a go at a Fokker Triplane. I am intrigued as to why, is it your favourite?
Mal
Guarnere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 09:59 AM UTC
Excellent job. I'm planing to build a P-40 myself, hope i'll see something close to yours
Will use your work as a reference .....
 _GOTOTOP