_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Some Thoughts
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:21 PM UTC
I was prompted, during our monthly IPMS meeting last Tuesday night, to give some thought to my modelling.

Specifically, why some builds get finished and some do not.

And I decided that those that have more consistancy in build quality and finish (at any level) tend to get finished more so than those that have a spot or aspect that I am not happy with.
Now, I am the first to admit that some of the builds that I have finished are not quite to a level that I might like, but most that are finished are of a standard that I feel has pushed me forward in my modelling, and generally, I see an improvement on previous builds.

So, how does consistancy come... consistantly?

Cheers,

Hugh
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 01:50 AM UTC
Hugh - an interesting topic. I think another reason that kits don't get finished is a little more simple, and affects me quite often.

Putting aside consistency for a moment, there are three phases of building for me:

Phase 1 - Enthusiasm. This is the phase where I tackle something with gusto. Lots of work gets done here, most of the detailing, checking against references etc. to get everything just rght. I usually increase the scope of the project during this phase (ie "i'll just add this bit here, and that bit there, then scratchbuild the wing etc..")

Phase 2 - The hump. Here the enthusiasm has worn off. Usually happens for me once the fusealge halves go together after all of the nice cockpit and engine detailing is done. At this point, the end is far in sight and there is alot of work to still do, and most of it is a hard slog, such as cleaning seams, fixing blemishes, rescribing etc - all of those not so fun tasks. Completion all seems so far away.

Phase 3 goes one of two ways. I push through the boring bits with much pain and get it finished, with renewed enthusiasm as I get closer to the end. The other way, is that phase 3 never actually kicks off, but I get interested in a new subject and jump in to phase 1 on a new project. Usually this is because the end seems so far away, or I have made a bit of a boo boo that will require alot of work to fix and I can't be bothered! To my mind, this is probably where we all tend to go off track, and where subjects get shelved.

Regarding consistency, my main aim has been to try and improve with each model, and set and maintain a new level of consistency. I usualy fail. More often that not, I can point out 10-15 or more blemishes on a finished model of my own that I am just not happy with. My theory is consistency is a product of practice and patience, and getting yourself out of your comfort zone - trying something different, a new technique, some scratchbuilding, etc. As such, what drives me to try and obtain better results is trying to take myself to that next little level of achievement, and then trying to get consistent at that level until I can move to the next.

Still working on it!!

BC
tculotta
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 03:17 AM UTC
It took me a long time to get to the point I am at now... more on that in a moment. For years, I would start a project and if something went wrong (and it could be my doing or discovering that the model was not accurate in some respect, or that there were problems with its design,) the model was somehow sullied in my mind and would languish. Interestingly, it was when I overcame this paralysis that my modeling skills moved to new heights. Building the same types of "effortless" projects over and over does little to expand our capabilities. It's when we find new challenges and overcome them that we develop new skills and become better modelers. The point I am at now is that I don't let things stop me from moving forward. In retrospect they always seem to be little in the overall scheme of things, but at the time, they create paralysis if we let them. Fix it and move on!

Regards,
Ted Culotta
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 04:34 AM UTC
Hugh - I can relate to what you are saying . but for me it comes down to skills and what I have for ref's at that time . When I hit a road block in my build this throws me off my game and the kit gets boxed for some other time . It has been 7 or more months know that I started srcatchbuilding a Airco DH-2 in 1/48 scale . And I justed finished the wing struts after three attempts at doing this ! and still have a long ways to go before I will finish it , but I don't let it slow me down . I work on it when I'm waiting for paint or glue to dry on another project might not be 100% accurate but it has been a good learning experience for me . Then there are some that I loose interest in and will be years before they are ever completed . This could be do to new re lease's , starting a new project and before I know it I'm overwheled with to many things . Will I stop this .....NO . I'll keep going down the same path . but ever time time a pick up a brush or glue my skills are improving and this site has been a major contribute towards that .
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 05:50 AM UTC
I'm an oddity in this hobby it seems, i finish every model i start. Well almost...in the six years since coming back to the hobby i've started 81 and finished 80. Pretty good record i think.

And yes, i'm happy with my builds...not the best out there sure- but i'm happy with what i do. Sure i don't do major scratchbuild projects, they just don't interest me. But having said that, every year i do one or two pretty involved projects just the same. I only build one project at a time, finish it then start the next. Not finishing something i start is almost an alien concept for me.

The secret?

I just do it.

Just like the NIKE adds i suppose. No deliberating or procrastinating or worrying about things that are only important to others. Just go in hard and enjoy what is just a hobby for myself really. For me that's all there is to it. It's so simple. But so am I.

That's my words of wisdom for today. I think there's something in that for us all...

Andrew
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 08:42 AM UTC
A most excellent topic!

Andrew I can realate. Since WWI is what I like to model there is not alot to get in my way except outside influences. Bills or paperwork on my work space must be dealt with before I do any modeling. Usually I go two weeks between finishing a build to starting a new one

BUT the research is ongoing. I am a bit of a mole in that respect. I like to dig. consequently I write also. While I am no Shakespear I do like the idea of bringing a voice back and through my writings a diary can speak to someone , that might otherwise lay dormant on a shelf somewhere.

Consistancy for me that is easy;

1. Always be willing to improve your skills.
2. Always be willing to try something a bit different.

I did 35 DML 1/48 Fokker Dr.I kits. You can see some of them in my Aeroscale Portfolio on the subject. The ones that wore me down a bit were the 7-8 that were the ones I sold. (All were 425/17 on April 21, 1918.)

If you observe things like rust, grime on an engine, sagging fabric and etc on real life sized items, with a little experimenting you get the thing sorted out. Its exercises like these that put you in a building fram of mind. Detailing a wrecked machine to look like a scale version of the original puts some of the brain cells to work. Also look at what others are doing and see if there is a page that you can take from them about building, painting or finishing. Model On!
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:31 AM UTC
Thankyou all for your views.

I guess I should let you know why I started thinking about this.

Our IPMS Club is running Model Expo next month and the committee are looking fro judges. I thought, why not? At the very least, I will get a chance to pore over Brads builds for four hours uninterupted
Don't worry Brad, they will be mentoring me with a very experienced judge and it is very unlikely that I will get that section to judge anyway (Worst luck).
So we were discussing what is looked for in judging a model in a comp. And one of the primary things is... Consistancy.
So I got to thinking about my own builds and the fact that that is what seems to be missing from them, and that maybe that is why some do not get finished.

Quoted Text

Brad Wrote;
Putting aside consistency for a moment, there are three phases of building for me:

Phase 1 - Enthusiasm. This is the phase where I tackle something with gusto. Lots of work gets done here, most of the detailing, checking against references etc. to get everything just rght. I usually increase the scope of the project during this phase (ie "i'll just add this bit here, and that bit there, then scratchbuild the wing etc..")

Phase 2 - The hump. Here the enthusiasm has worn off. Usually happens for me once the fusealge halves go together after all of the nice cockpit and engine detailing is done. At this point, the end is far in sight and there is alot of work to still do, and most of it is a hard slog, such as cleaning seams, fixing blemishes, rescribing etc - all of those not so fun tasks. Completion all seems so far away.

Phase 3 goes one of two ways. I push through the boring bits with much pain and get it finished, with renewed enthusiasm as I get closer to the end. The other way, is that phase 3 never actually kicks off, but I get interested in a new subject and jump in to phase 1 on a new project. Usually this is because the end seems so far away, or I have made a bit of a boo boo that will require alot of work to fix and I can't be bothered! To my mind, this is probably where we all tend to go off track, and where subjects get shelved.

If you are anything like me Brad, and this porbably applies for 99.9% of modellers, you build the subjects that interest you. We start a build of a machine that we have always had a soft spot for (I will use my Roden BE2c as an example here... It's still not finished!).
I have always loved the BE series of scouts, so when Roden released it last year, I jumped at the chance to build it.
I embarked on it as soon as the previous build was complete, and started detailing the bejeesus out of the engine, then cut up the fuselage halves and started detailing them... All with great enthusiasm.
The hump came with attaching the wings (The same point as it did with my Roden Bristol Fighter)... In fact, I think that getting the upper main plane on is probably the one part of any Bipe build that scares the hell out of me the most.
And then another hump... This time it's all the fiddly little bits that need to be added to finish the build: control lines, horns, pulleys...
But you know, I'm happy so far with the build, it's the first time I have tried to scratch build bits and pieces, so I have pushed my self...
The finish is inconsistant. And to my eye now, quite wrong, but I will, after I have finished the Big Roden Group Build build, get back into it and finish it.

I am working on the F1 slowly, and carefully, because I want to try for the best overall consistancy that I can get. And I am realy looking forward to everybody saying "You can't do your streaking like that!"

Cheers,

Hugh
legendasboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Portugal
KitMaker: 168 posts
AeroScale: 159 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:59 AM UTC
well i finish every project i start, my secret is concentrate in just one project i cant even imagine to start more than one. i start and finish, then i start a new one, im not multi task...
goldenarrow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 72 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:01 PM UTC
A very interessting topic and so different from the ususal.

I totally agree with Brad´s 3 phasis theorie. Unfortunatelly I find myself very often in phase 2 jumping to 3 and back.
It always suspects me reading modelling articels like it was all fun and statements like happy modelling.
To be honest for me is modelling far beond a hobby its a kind of passion. My true emotions are oszilatinge between enthusiasm, deep frustration, painful work, succsess, hapyness... doubts... satisfaction.

Somtimes I miss the joy of modelling as a child not caring about anything. But on the other hand it makes me very happy to get a piece ready and to tell the truth none is perfect. There is always a gap or some mishaps. It is like opening Pandoras box. The more i improve my skills the more things can be done in a wrong way.
But as long as my work is getting better I hopefully know that I am on the right track.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 02:24 PM UTC
The reason I model is I like to mix historical research and pleasure reading with a bit of three dimensional representation. It kind of brings life to the subject matter for me.

I can identify with alot of the views expressed here concerning incomplete projects. It is one of the reasons why I haven't modeled 1/35 Armor in a while, frustration encountered during construction. Armor kits average over 300 pieces these days with upwards of 20+ steps found on the instruction sheets. There were just too many places and opportunities to stumble. Aftermarket didn't help. Since I've taken up building 1/48 scale WW I aircraft I have finished them all.

I think the main reason for alot of our frustration comes from expectations as opposed to results from the limited time resources we have for modeling and what we want to achieve with that time. For me, it came down to the desire to make this spare time as stress free as possible. Going from 450 to 56 pieces helped alot. I recognize that these kits are not easy to build with the construction sequences, frequently if not always mixed with finishing steps, but careful planning can make these transition phases seamless resulting in a smooth flow to completion. There is a nice feeling that accompanies a finished project and that is what my free time is about....FUN! Therefore the accuracy of every detail and the need to incorporate every available aftermarket add on is not paramount to my approach. However, I still would like to be as accurate as possible within certain limitations. Correct aileron control cables and wrongly molded details do not place a project in the realm of "super detailing" for me any longer and this is where I can balance my efforts.

This is where I believe Hughs query steps in, consistency. I believe it is the modelers ability to balance the various disciplines of contemporary modeling like historical accuracy with construction and finishing techniques. Equally combined they can achieve very satisfying results. This is where practice and experience pays off and can place someone in the winners circle at a contest. I believe that this is where the judging system used at alot of armor shows has got it right, well at least right in terms of rewarding modelers with work well done. Instead of judging models and modelers against one another they judge the entries against a certain criteria and award models that meet certain levels within that criteria. It takes personalities and associations out of the equation. We can all strive, if desired, to reach an equilibrium within these disciplines to achieve a level of consistency in our work that may result in awards for our projects, or we do not.

I find this site well suited for both camps, very accepting of the novice but also playing host to some incredibly talented modelers. There is something for everyone at the extremes and for the most of us that fall somewhere in between.

A most interesting query Hugh, thanks.

Model on, Dwayne
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 08:12 PM UTC
Hello Hugh - yes like you I build mostly what I want to build - although I must say that I do have some consignment builds and I have to agree that they don't tend to be much fun. Consequently, I find it harder to be interested in maintaining a high standard, other than the fact that I am building for someone else and as such, I want to deliver a high quality product.

Another good point made by Peter is that the more adventurous we get, the more areas we can get it wrong! Some superdetailed models don't turn out as well as we would like because we have many many more smaller errors.

Good luck judging at Melbourne Hugh - unfortunately I will not be making it over from Adelaide as I will be in Brisbane with work for the week prior and won't be able to get across in time

It's a pitty really as I very much enjoyed attending last year!!

BC
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:50 PM UTC
Which would be why Superdetailed and Scratched builds take so damned long!

Thanks Brad, I am really looking forward to the experience and education that Judging will give me.

It's a shame you will not be at Expo, I would really like to meet with you one day and talk at more length about your techniques.

Cheers,

Hugh
 _GOTOTOP