_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Academy P-39N finished
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:12 AM UTC
Here's my second model, an Academy P-39N 1/72 hand-painted with Humbrol enamels and weathered with my artists' acrylics.

It's been a straight forward build on the whole, although did have some aggro with the undercarriage. The main problem encountered was the fit of the rear canopy. It didn't fit at all, and after some sanding there's a bit of a gap.

The decals went down perfectly, and I've been told Academy ones can be a nightmare. Overall, I'm happy and have learned a lot for my first P-38 build

Oh, forgot to mention...I loaded the nose with weight and tested it on cocktail sticks, but it's still a tail-sitter!

legendasboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Portugal
KitMaker: 168 posts
AeroScale: 159 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:18 AM UTC
nicely done
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 - 01:54 PM UTC
Very nice propwash. I have built the same kit in American markings. How did the decals go on? Alright I hope? Academy can be a bit difficult at times.
One small critique is the yellow tips on the props are a bit to far down the prop blades. Try backing the yellow tips back up the blade, maybe half as much as you have them on the Airacobra. I think you will like the results. Otherwise, great build. Keep it up. Russell
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:20 PM UTC
Thanks for the comment, Ricardo.

Russell, glad you like it and I'll look at those props

As for the decals, they were fine. Nige had warned me they might be tricky but surprisinly no problems to report. The only thing that disappointed me was the way it sat on its tail despite packing it with weight.
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:51 PM UTC
Thatīs a very nice model you made Alex
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:52 AM UTC
Thanks for looking and your kind words, Daniel.
mikado
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 329 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 04:30 PM UTC
[quote]Here's my second model, an Academy P-39N 1/72 hand-painted with Humbrol enamels and weathered with my artists' acrylics.

It's been a straight forward build on the whole, although did have some aggro with the undercarriage. The main problem encountered was the fit of the rear canopy. It didn't fit at all, and after some sanding there's a bit of a gap.

The decals went down perfectly, and I've been told Academy ones can be a nightmare. Overall, I'm happy and have learned a lot for my first P-38 build

Oh, forgot to mention...I loaded the nose with weight and tested it on cocktail sticks, but it's still a tail-sitter!

quote]

Hey Alex
Nice weathering....I like the chipping on the plane....
Will do something similar to the Academy P-40 Flying tiger that I am working on now...

Which acrylics paint did you use? Is it vallejo?

Mike
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 10:41 PM UTC
Hi Mike,

I used Humbrol silver for the paint chips, dry-brushed with a '000' brush. The acrlyics are the same ones I create my paintings from: Daler & Rowney.

I've found you can use any acrylic paint, so just buy a tube of whatever make: the colours I use most right now for weathering are paynes grey and burnt umber.

Good luck with the P-40
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:11 PM UTC
Hi Alex,

..neat work !

a couple of things for that canopy - try 'filling' gaps around the edges with PVA glue (dries clear). You may already use it to attach them. I also use a little PVA in water to secure recalcitrant Academy decals. Also prior to putting the canopy on run some black paint around the edges to be stuck - cuts down on internal reflection & I find it helps the canopy to appear more part of the airframe..
mikado
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 329 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Alex,

..neat work !

a couple of things for that canopy - try 'filling' gaps around the edges with PVA glue (dries clear). You may already use it to attach them. I also use a little PVA in water to secure recalcitrant Academy decals. Also prior to putting the canopy on run some black paint around the edges to be stuck - cuts down on internal reflection & I find it helps the canopy to appear more part of the airframe..

Hi Neil,

I think you have some really good tips here that I can use as well
Just to check , is PVA glue know as white glue as well ? or is there a particular brand you can recommend?

Alex, thank for the arcylic paint advice;

FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 07:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just to check , is PVA glue know as white glue as well ? or is there a particular brand you can recommend?

..yes it is ...there is a proprietary model brand called 'Kristal Klear' from Microscale I believe - or there was. I just use ordinary white glue nowadays....

cheers

Neil
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 10:45 PM UTC
Excellent job, Alex. I mlike the very worn look of the aircraft combined with the colourful markings.

Thanks for sharing - excellent entry for the aces campaign
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 05:39 AM UTC
Nice one Alex!
Sorry for the late reply but Ive been up to my neck in things and must have missed this when you posted it.
Looks great!,,your really getting the hang of it
Soon be time for a NMF!
Nige
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 05:55 AM UTC
NMF is coming up next.

Very excited to be working on my Red Tail P-51.

The 332nd FG are a fav outfit of mine, and in fact I've created a tribute site for them which has a model section (see my website for link).
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 08:09 AM UTC

..me too..working on the Academy kit and reading Chris Bucholtz's great Osprey Elite title...
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

..me too..working on the Academy kit and reading Chris Bucholtz's great Osprey Elite title...

I'm using that book too...... Look forward to seeing your build. I'm depicting Topper III. You?
 _GOTOTOP