Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Bf110 Exhaust Deflector
looperp55
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 - 10:36 AM UTC
Hi, I am very keen on the Bf110 and have been working on superdetailing a Fujimi one for a while and have now bought the new Eduard Bf110E as well. A far superior kit all round. In my updates to the Fujimi kit I researched many photos to fabricate the starboard engine's intake deflector found on the C/D/E versions. I was very surprised to see that Eduard had completely missed it off their kits and so far no-one has mentioned the omission in any of the reviews that I have seen. Why is nobody worried about this prominent feature yet they worry about a 2mm short fuselage in a 1:32 Spitfire IX?
If you are building the Eduard Bf110 please do not forget the deflector.

regards, Peter

P.S. Please click on the photos link to see what I mean.
JohnVasco
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 03:39 AM UTC
Peter,
There was more than one style of deflector. See the recent book by myself and Fernando Estanislau, 'Messerschmitt Bf 110 C, D, and E, An Illustrated Study', page 106 for the variations.

Hope this helps.

John Vasco
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 04:40 AM UTC
Many thanks Peter and John!!

I did not notice that until now. Maybe it was not mentioned before because this is hardly noticable in many pix (it is inboard of the engine) .. I even have John's book which I have not read yet. I only browsed though it and tried to find some details for my build here and there.

I build an early machine (early in respect of when it was used in the war) ... it is Erich Groth's 110C and as I am pretty far into the project I will leave it as it is (without deflector).

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 04:47 AM UTC
Hi Peter and John

Sorry - I missed this post before. Welcome to Aeroscale, both of you.

As John says, different styles of deflector are evident in photos - and, in a number of cases, there's clearly no deflector fitted at all.

All the best

Rowan
JohnVasco
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 09:00 AM UTC
And those deflectors could be retro-fitted, so if you're doing a Bf 110 model, if you've got photos as a reference, always check above the starboard inner exhaust stack.
 _GOTOTOP