_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Twin Spinner - P 38 J in 1:48
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 10:03 PM UTC
Some time ago a modelling friend and I was discussing "favorite airplane" and I stated that I would have a lot of troubles deciding between the F4U Corsair and the Lightning - so he kindly gave me a Hasegawa 1:48 P 38 J and thus tempting me to build a plane, and suddenly I saw that there was a campain going on, and ... well, here it is--....

Being a diehard armour modeller, building a airplane is surely something very different - a whole different approch you might say - so lots of work for the little grays .. so this is my second finished airplane in 25 years ...

I wanted to practice on some pre- and post shading, so a green finish would be ideal for me.

Heres my inspiration - its located at Dulles:

Preshading and basecolor on the underside

Allmost there or ?

Cheers/Jan
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 05:20 PM UTC
Jan,

For merely your 2nd wingy-thingy, you did an excellent job!

My only constructive critique is the yellow and white unit markings looks pretty fresh. These markings can weather too. However, as they can be freshly applied, such as a plane traded from one unit to another, this is plausible.

So how do you like planes compared to armor?

Again, an excellent model!
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:18 PM UTC
Thanks Fred,

The Yellow ain´t so bright in reality, but the white markings could use a tone down with a light wash.

Building planes is a different experience when you are use to building armour - but its more a question for rethinking your approch to the kit. With armour I have a more or less fixed approach - with a plane I have to rethink, and plan ahead instead of running on automatics - in hinsight theres some things i would have done differently ... but it was fun and I like building planes - its just that on the same space take up by this plane I can find room for 3 tanks ....
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 08:54 AM UTC
Wow, an awesome P-38! The finish and weathering is superb!
 _GOTOTOP