Is there a 1/35th Horsa glider model?
Stormin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 12:32 PM UTC
Hi all,
can anyone tell me if there is or has been a 1/35th scale Horsa glider kit? If not does anyone know if there are any plans of the glider and if so where may I be able to get my hands on a set.
Cheers, Kenny.
ukgeoff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 01:08 PM UTC
Unlikely, the only kit that I know of is the Italeri 1/72 example. Even if someone did make a larger version, its doubtful it would be to 1/35, 1/32 is the norm for aircraft .
FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
AeroScale: 190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 07:27 PM UTC
Kenny

If I knew this earlier then I had made some pics for you in the "wings of liberation" museum in Bet near Eindhoven. They had a copy of one there
It might be a little heavy but you could try to scratchbuilt it.
I have found some links about the horsa there is one with some diagrams if you scroll down
http://www.pointvista.com/WW2GliderPilots/thehorsa.htm
http://www.bhemedia.co.uk/Glider%20Documentary.html
http://futurshox.net/viewer.php3?id=258

Hope it is of some help

jimbrae
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 12:11 AM UTC
Now that would be nice in 1/35, better still a Hamilcar.......wow! jim #:-)
Stormin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 02:19 PM UTC
Hi Guys,
many thanks for the info. Robert (Faust) you mention in your post
Quoted Text

If I knew this earlier then I had made some pics for you in the "wings of liberation" museum in Bet near Eindhoven. They had a copy of one there
It might be a little heavy but you could try to scratchbuilt it.

Did you mean that they had a 1/35th model or that you could have taken photo's ?
Do you know if the musuem has a web site and if so does it have any photo's on it? Can you let me know as all pic's, plans etc are greatfully accepted.
Cheers. Kenny. :-)
Hey I've just noticed I've got promotion. 3 Stripes KEWL. Maybe the kids will listen to me now (some chance). Kenny.
Grizzly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 01:27 AM UTC
Italeri put out two or three of the allied gliders in 1/72 but not in 1/35; i wish though!my scratch building skills still kind of stink.
FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
AeroScale: 190 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 01:40 AM UTC
Stormin

In the museum in one of their halls they had a model of a Horsa glider to compare how big that thing was when it stood in that hall. They made a skelleton of the horsa that was really good and they placed it in a model of the room where I was standing in at that moment.
I just looked at the site of the museum but I couldn`t find pictures of it but maybe you could mail the museum if they could help you with good drawings of the Horsa

This is the site http://www.wingsofliberation.nl/index.html there is an E-mail adres on it

Stormin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 06:43 AM UTC
Hi all,
once again I'm indebted to you all for the help and advice offered. I will email the museum and see if they can help, I will try to keep a record on the progress as I make some and will hopefully post them later on.
I plan to scratchbuild (my first scratchbuild on this scale)one to make a diorama out of it, almost seems a shame to spend time to build something like this, just to break it .
Thanks again, Kenny.
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 08:01 AM UTC
I think your best bet would be to scratchbuild one out of styrene, or even cardboad.

Hope that works!

~Chip
 _GOTOTOP