_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Tamiya F-4J battle damage repair panels
mat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 07:15 AM UTC
Hello,

I have the 1:32 Tamiya F-4J and although it is a very nice kit but I have my doubts about the outside of the fuselage. Some panels are raised like they have been put on top of the other ones. Is this the infamous problem which is sometimes described as "battle damage repair":(. My assumption is that I have to sand them all away, right?

One other question: do I have to put fire proof coating on the Mk. 82 bombs? I am building the F-4J from the VF-84 Jolly Rogers.

Cheers,

Matthijs
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 09:17 AM UTC
Can't really say about the panels here I personally don't know thata much about them.

As for the Bombs. Chances are yes they were thermal coated if flying off a Carrier. All of the carrier based bombs did have it. At least what I saw.

Now as for being land based. It would be a toss up there. I have built both thermal coated and not thermal coated when we were on land. I don't know if it was because they wanted to get rid of the slick ones or not. As time did go by though. Most of the land frags were all Thermally Coated.

Hope this Helped.

Paul
mat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 08:44 AM UTC
thanks for your reply Paul,

ofcourse I'll follow the advice of someone who has seen it for real so I'll put the coating on them.

I've done a more thorough check on pictures of the fuselage and I think I have to start sanding and scribing. Isn't Tamiya great? they forget the details where you need them and they add them where you don't

Cheers,

Matthijs
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 09:42 AM UTC
Anytime Matt glad I could help.

Maybe the Model companies are in cohoots with the sandpaper, scriber and filler companies just to keep us on our toes..

Otherwise this hobby would not be as half as fun as it is.

Paul
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 08:35 PM UTC
Hey Mat,

Yes this is the infamous Battle repair's!! Sand them off! I took my sricber and when around the panels before I started to sand away!
 _GOTOTOP