_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Help to identify this marking?
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 08:47 PM UTC
Hi all

I have this marking fo a red stallion on a silver grey background on a decal sheet for my FW 190 D9. I have been unable to identify this marking based on my references. Maybe it is a staffel marking?

My knowledge on the Luftwaffe markings is not complete, so maybe somebody else in the great Aeroscale brain trust could identify this one?

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 10:14 PM UTC
Hi Jesper

first let me state that the Fujimi kit is no good choice .. its old and it is inaccurate. The Revell or Italeri boxing of the Dragon Kit would have been better (and also cheap).

Sadly my Luftwaffe Emblems (Barry Ketley) is home in Schwerin, so I cannot check ... but IIRC this emblem is not of a Fighter Unit.

There was once a site on the internet that had the same Information available, but it is gone. I found another one:

Wehrmacht unit emblems, tactical-, other markings and license plates

which also has lots of Symbols. The only one similar is that of 10. /KG 1 or maybe a version of 8./JG 2. Maybe someone has the book and can check that. ... rats I wish I had my "library" here

Maybe you can give some details of the markings guide for further research?!

best wishes

Steffen

P.S. it somehow looks familiar ..
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 09:10 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

Thanks for the comments. The Fujimi kit is rather bad, but now I have so I will make the most of it. Anyway, it is good training before I start on the Eduard FW 190s in my stash.

First of all the link is great. I have bookmarked it. Thanks a lot!

The shield could be from 10. /KG 1, but I think the unknown shield is actually quite accurate, so it is probably not a variation of 10. /KG 1.
The markings on the same sheet from JG 54, I/JG 54 and III/JG54 look pretty good and accurate, so the unknown shield with the stallion is probably also accurate.

There is no markings guide at all in the kit, so I cannot help there. There are some big red and white letters that I also cannot make fit with a JG aircraft, so maybe your idea of it being a KG aircraft is correct.

Alternatively it could be from a test unit or research unit as there are also black letters included on the decal sheet indicating an aircraft not assigned to a combat unit yet. I have tried to indentify which aircraft the black letters were on, but so far I have not found any FW 190 Ds with this letter combination.

When do you expect to back at your library?

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 09:52 PM UTC
Hi Jesper

no instructions ... hmm, thats bad.

The SG units also flew Fw 190, so the letters could also be for them.

All in all I think the kit is very inaccurate (in most respects). e.g. the Red yellow red band looks suspicious. Assuming this should rather be yellow white yellow, the JG 2 connection I proposed above is likely. I just scanned through JaPo Fw 190 C&M vol.2 and there was no a/c with a batch like yours .. this proves nothing, but is an indication. Most Fw 190 in the book are without "special" markings.

OTOH the black letters indicate a test a/c maybe the badge is for that?

Maybe just choose a well know c&m. There are many decal sets out there. and you can also do some of the more factory like a/c from what you have and the spare decals box.

Sorry I do not think that we will get much further without others sharing their thoughts ...

best wishes

Steffen

P.S. There is a great forum on Ruy Hortas Site: 12 o'clock high(much Info here .. e.g. RV Bands) The link to the forum is http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php I do not know how the attitude towards modellers is at the moment (I was not there for quite a while due to time limitations) sometimes it was a little difficult which I can totally understand as the same questions are asked over and over again ... but give it a try and just ask for the badge
taylgr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 152 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:07 PM UTC
Looks like it would be 8/JG2
-

Q: What do you get when 20 violinists start playing at the same time but play different songs?
A: A senseless act of violins.
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:13 PM UTC

..I think Steffen & Greg are correct with the JG 2 connection ....here's a pic of a JG 2 Geschwaderstab Emil - the emblem was adopted from Hptm. Alexander von Winterfeldts's family coat of arms...source is Erik Mombeeck's JG 2 history (Vol 1) - it's not a stallion though but a wolf ....I think you can see that better on Greg's image..

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:15 PM UTC
Hi Greg

as I wrote in my first post, it could be a variation of that badge .. still a photographic reference for the Fw 190 D (or other) that wore it would be nice ....

Edit @Neil: I have never seen such a large badge on a 190D ... well maybe except for the Platzschutzstaffel of JV 44

cheers

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:18 PM UTC
..you beat me to it Steffen... nice to see you back on the board posting ! ..I think Fujimi were just looking for a nice JG 2 emblem to put on their Dora.. if I remember this was even on the box top artwork ..(got one in my stash too ....)
taylgr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 152 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 - 12:02 AM UTC
Yo Jesper,
Definitely 8/JG 2 Richtofen - mate I'm still looking for pics of the actual airframe, no luck so far.

From AJ Press-Luftwaffe Malowanie i oznakowanie 1935-45 pt 5

"Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes! "

If you can read this sign, you can get a good job in the fast-paced, high-paying world of Latin!

"Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari? "

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 - 12:34 AM UTC
Hi Greg

Many thanks for the updated info!

Sadly, until you come up with a photo this could be a repeated legend (one artist copies another and the more often it is repeated .... e.g. this too little too late crap) there are lots of those myths, esp. concerning Lw 33-45.

cheers

Steffen

P.S. I like your latin phrases ... the one I have in my profile is from Peter Vill from an article on VVS modelling ... that was a tough build ..
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 - 02:06 AM UTC
Thanks for all the feedback, Guys. I think it is safe to say it is from 8./ JG 2. I knew the Aeroscale brain trust would not let me down on this one

I will probably use the decal for some other kit in my stash and go hunting for interesting schemes for my FW 190 D9 in my references. Of course there is always "Yellow 10" from JG 53 which has a very interesting camouflage.

Thanks again for your time and effort
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 - 02:34 AM UTC
Hi Jesper

Quoted Text

Guys. I think it is safe to say it is from 8./ JG 2.

i don't think so. It is possible, nothing more nothing less.

Quoted Text

Of course there is always "Yellow 10" from JG 53 which has a very interesting camouflage.

A correction: JG 53 was equipped with Bf 109

The a/c you are referring to is probably Franz Götz' "10". Which is the Kommodore machine of JG 26 and a Fw 190 D-13 (which you cannot build OOB). The attribution is not proven, but the indications are strong. (Ref. JaPo Fw 190 C&M Vol.2. There is also a booklet from Eagle Editions about this aircraft...)

cheers

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 10:00 AM UTC
You arre perfectly right, Steffen.

I posted based on my memory which did not served me well. I was right about the attractive camouflage, but remembered wrong about the JG and version. In my books from Kagero and AJ Press the aircraft is also listed as a FW 190 D13 from JG 26.

In stead I will go for "Black 4" from II/JG 6. I do not know if the underside were bare metal or RLM 76. In the colour profile it difficult to see what the intention is of the artist and on the photos it is also a little difficult for me to determine if it is bare metal.

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 10:35 AM UTC
Hi Jesper

Are those pictures of the black 4? ... a WNr. would be nice (to check the Japos)

there are many variations according to the books.

cheers

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 10:25 PM UTC
The werk nr. was 211939 according to Janowicz "FW 190 Vol. IV" published by Kagero. It landed at Furth in Germany on 8th May. Some of the pictures should be from the Summer of 1945.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 11:07 PM UTC
Hi Jesper

Thank you! That is a from a Focke-Wulf production batch covered in Vol.1 of the JaPo books (which I have not here). Maybe someone could check there what underside "camo" is likely.

cheers

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 12:55 AM UTC
Thanks Steffen, I do not have that book, but hopefully somebody else can help.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 09:29 AM UTC
I wanted to get on with my Dora, so I took a decision based on the comments in my references for this aircraft and went for the RLM 76 undersides.
The build can be followed in the "battle for Europe" campaign tread for those who wants to see my progress.

Thanks once again to all for the effort
 _GOTOTOP