_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
A Plea to Helo Modelers
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 08:55 PM UTC
As most of you know, I am now serving in Baghdad for the next year or so. I have linked up with the Baghdad Model Club and am glad to report that it is going strong. They have an office (about 10' x 10') that is stacked to about waist high with boxes upon boxes of donated models. They have plenty of supplies too, better than some hobby shops I have been in. The troops really appreciate the support and enjoy the diversion in their limited free time.

The only problem is, the helicopter representation is woefully lacking. There are boxes and boxes of aircraft, but only about a half dozen helicopter models, w/a few of them being the same one. Please send more helos so we can give the aircraft guys a run for their money. Any type, scale, counrty, etc. would be great. Any era too, but most want to build models of what they are currently using. So modern stuff would be great too.

Instead of selling some of those unwanted kits, please consider donating them to the troops. They would be greatly appreciated.

Anything you send would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE -- UPDATE -- UPDATE

Thank you to all who have donated kits to the troops. Your donations have been much appreciated and enjoyed by many Soldiers here in Iraq. We appreciate the outpouring of support we have received.

I ask that you don't send any more packages after the end of January. My tour will be coming to an end soon and I haven't found anyone to take over receiving the models for me. I will be on leave in March and then redeploying in late April or early May. We will also be moving our HQs. So the next couple of months will be pretty hectic.

Again, thanks to all who donated and gave us support. I will provide an update in case I do find someone to take over who will be remaining here.

HM2Somers
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:21 AM UTC
I am in the process of gathering various models to send you in 2 boxes. In addition I am sending other items such as face wipes, hard candies, eye drops, powdered drink mixes, pop corn (already popped), a few extra model magazines, razors, chap sticks, hot sauce, gum, shampoo, & 10 cans of Copenhagen snuff. I figure you can swap, bargin, or sell what you don't want. Anything I missed let me know as it will take another week before I finish gathering a few other items send. I am an x-US Navy Corpsman from end of Vietnam and was stationed in Guam for a few years so I am glad to do this. Again. please let me know any wants or desires of other items that you guys want. Pam
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 05:26 PM UTC
Thank you to all who have donated kits to the troops. Your donations have been much appreciated and enjoyed by many Soldiers here in Iraq. We appreciate the outpouring of support we have received.

I ask that you don't send any more packages after the end of January. My tour will be coming to an end soon and I haven't found anyone to take over receiving the models for me. I will be on leave in March and then redeploying in late April or early May. We will also be moving our HQs. So the next couple of months will be pretty hectic.

Again, thanks to all who donated and gave us support. I will provide an update in case I do find someone to take over who will be remaining here.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 03:58 AM UTC
Hey Gino,

Wheres all the models at yo????!!!! Ive been in Baghdad since November and Im going nuts without a kit. Where and what can I do to get in on this, Ill keep it going after you split.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 05:34 PM UTC
Zack,

I collected the models and distributed them on VBC. We have a small club here. If you want to pick this up, it would be great. Where are you at?
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:36 PM UTC
VBC huh? Im not too far from you over here at Prosperity, but I doubt Id be able to make any trips over to that area. My company, and especially the 4ID bat here are sticklers for unauthorized trips in the IZ.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 07:47 PM UTC
I would rather it go on with someone here on VBC since we are one of the largets bases with lots of takers here. If you want to put up a similar post and try to do something there, that might be good too.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:34 PM UTC
That is not a problem. I honestly dont have the facilites to host something like that here. Its too small. Just in case I ever get to make a trip to VBC where is the model office located at?
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 05:03 AM UTC
We really don't have a place either. We were at the MWR, but lost that area when they remodeled. Now we just have a wall locker full of supplies in the HQ building.
 _GOTOTOP