_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Personal Project:Phantom All Over the Nations
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 03:51 AM UTC
Hi. I hope this is the suitable place for it. Thus I started such a weird job to pay tribute to my childhood love and the winged beauty and monster which, still, make me shiver and set tears tomy eyes of sheer amusement; I decided to open up a title on the progress report and visuel stuff. The project is Phantom All Over the Nations (which I just made up, why? Dunno). Came to my mind while attending to the Phantom Campaigne. The goal is to build one of each Air Force(including the Navy Air Forces) who flew the mighty F-4. My choice of scale in collection is also my childhood, and still favorite 1/72. To start with I have 6 Phantoms on my desk on various brands(2x Fujimi,2xEsci,1xMonogram,1xRevell).
This will also be a comparison in details and buildings and stuff so that I hope, will be helpful to the ones who think about purchaseing the stated models.
Ok, to start with I have the Fujimi F-4B which will be VF-84 Jolly Rogers in Vietnam War(How surprising isn't it!!). Sorry for the blury Photoes. I built it OOB exept the Zengdindengfinfofu(or what ever) MERs on the outer pylons, oh and the IR tracor(I think) under the radome and the horizontal stabilizators from the Esci kit(Why? No reason, I like the Matchboxy look).

JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 04:10 AM UTC
Ok, continue. The second one is actualy a twin build for the Phabulous Phantom campaigne. One Esci and one Fujimi F-4J in RAF service. They are prety close models specialy cockpit wise. I am posting the Esci one(Fujimi is same with the F-4B and I didn't have place to carry it to work with me).

JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 04:17 AM UTC
And Cockpits:
Here are one Revell, new and recomended F-4F, One Esci F-4C which is same with the other Esci F-4s and nearly identicle with the Fujimi ones, and the Monogram one, which is, in my opinion, the best OOB F-4 Cockpit in the scale that I have seen so far.Ok I haven't seen the Hasegwa ones yet).

Esci,Revell, Monogram(excuse my modeling)
Here is some detail on the Monogram one:

And the Esci:

Well that's it for now, see yer soon with more progress...
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:46 PM UTC
Interesting project, nice to get a comparison of the different kits. It will look good on the shelve with all those Phantoms side by side.

Looking forward to see more
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:33 PM UTC
Thanks Jesper. I am wondering about which shelf will it be. I have none left at home!!! And in that bombshell(as Jeremy Clarckson says) the first one is (sort of) done. Here is the F-4B of Fujimi wearing the VF-84 Jolly Rogers(what did you think I would do first haha!) back from 1964, raiding over Vietnam.

Ok, I know there are some mistakes and not-yet-painted parts but this is the quick version to "ok it is acceptably done" befor e I go to vocation.

JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 06:06 AM UTC
Ok now that I have tim a few tips about the kit for whom wishes to build this kit. Be careful about the asembly guide. The kit is realy nice but guide tries to make you cut the pitot tube and a few other things, Just try to check the real photoes of the craft as much as you can. The paint guide is also wrong, it shows all upper surface as Aircraft Grey (I think FS16440) but the main wing flaps(or command surfaces, I am not an aircraft engeener:P) Tail comand surface and the Hoizontal stabs should be white as the underside. Also kit gives you the horizontals with the triangular reinforcements(or what it is) but the B's of VF-84 don't have them as far as I see. The cockpit also needs detail obviously. I myself did't bother much on this model because I placed pilots. The metal heat shild panels on the exhoust compartment deserves some working for the rivets...That is I think all I saw as "to do", there may be more but at least be careful about these.
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 12:52 AM UTC
Ok here is an update. The Revell F-4F, backed up with Esci slated stabilazers had its asembly done, waiting for the masking to the canopy. It will be a TuAF F-4E...I hope:} Spanish F-4C is under construction and the Brits are.....trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. panted and decaled. They are waiting for the weathering, canopy asembly and weapons; which I plan to load only the Skyflashes. I painted them both black tailed, the T(350, without the IR supressors) and S( 355 in red nose day). Numbers and tail letters are from the Fujimi kit. I wish I had one more set of the roundels of Fujimi because Esci's decals are straight out of a circus! Ok, here is the guys in current condition.
Esci:

And Fujimi:

JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 11:47 PM UTC
Ok the Red Nose is done. Unarmed but I like them this way too:}

Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
AeroScale: 635 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:31 AM UTC
Great project !

still have tons of Phantoms to build... great weathering, not overdone.
US Air Force, US Marines, US Navy, National Guard, NASA
Australia, Egypt, Germany,Greece, Iran, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Spain, Turkey, UK....maybe more I'm not sure...anyway you'll need a Phantom Room in your house !

Take care and keep them coming!!
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 - 06:54 AM UTC
Heheh yes I will in deed need a Phantom Room:] I won't build NASA and ANG in the project, at least that is my plan, maybe in the end I will add but UK consists of both RN and RAF:} We'll see what time shows:}
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 01:19 AM UTC
it is time to return to the battle:]
This is the Revell 1/72 F-4F kit, which probably will be most of the kits I will use for the project, who is being converted to a late E model to serve in the TuAF. I am planing to paint it to the Hill2 scheme for the Korsan Filo (Pirate Squadron) or Şeytan Filo (Devil Squadron) markngs... There it is for now:

PS: The F-4C in Spanish AF is going slwly alongside this one:}
 _GOTOTOP