_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Locked threads
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 04:09 PM UTC
Greetings all;

I had a recent inquiry as to why the posts from about a year ago are locked? The answer is simple. Its me. I go back and review things about once a month and lock topics. Mostly due to inactivity with them but it also allows for use as an archive on topics we may want to re-read. It garuantees that with the exception of images that text will remain intact for instances when you want to go back and use a thread as a reference.

We are still small enough that this is an easy task. Image links are repaired if they are available through the Kitmaker Image site. If not There is not much we can do. The dreaded red "X" will show up.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 05:50 PM UTC
At it again. Locking old threads. Remember if you want one of your threads unlocked to add to it just let me know.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 07:33 PM UTC
not sure i understand the purpose of locking an old thread. isn't it still in the archives if it is unlocked? are we worried about original posters going back and deleting what they wrote?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 07:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

not sure i understand the purpose of locking an old thread. isn't it still in the archives if it is unlocked? are we worried about original posters going back and deleting what they wrote?

If its unlocked it can be added to and that brings it forward. Anyone could delete the contents of their own posts at anytime locked or not. If it has not been added to in a year it probably can't give much more help and the original poster should be the one to do that.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 04:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If its unlocked it can be added to and that brings it forward. Anyone could delete the contents of their own posts at anytime locked or not. If it has not been added to in a year it probably can't give much more help and the original poster should be the one to do that.

ok, so that is just a way to keep old threads from confusing people I guess. that is a different locking philosophy than i am familiar with.
 _GOTOTOP