_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Rodens #050 Riesenflugzeug( Staaken R VI )
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 04:01 AM UTC
Hi
Some weeks ago I was asked if I could build the new Staaken kit #050 in 72-scale. Normally I don´t go into this scale because I don´t feel for this scale. My friend told me not to bother on the scale because this is a biggie. He was not wrong on that at least, then Stephen reviewed the new decals from Orion and he asked me if I could use the new Lozenge decals on the kit so here I am..
This is a big kit and it will take me most likely the rest of this year. With the Albatros D1 in 32 scale build this year will end without any more projects.

What have the kit to offer then?. The kit got 463 parts and there’s lots of threes in this kit. The details are sharp the most of the ejectormarks is in god places.
There is some sinking in the plastic on some parts, the radiatorfronts and a boxed panel on the inside. From what I can see there’s no problem filling them.

The interior is more or less filled with details from all the ten gastanks to the cockpit. There’s not much you can add, for what I know there is not etch for this bird yet. The bombbay is opened so all the load is visible

The enginenacelle are more or less kits of there own. Four Maybach or four Mercedes, you got four of each so you can choose. This 52/17 had the Maybach´s

The lozengedecals in the kit is colourful, so you can se the difference in Orions decals. Roden gives you templates to cut out the lozenge from, that’s a nice touch in my opinion. With the templates and Orions decal this will be a fairly easy task I hope.

For the moment this Winsock is the only reference I have.

Here is just so you can see the size off this gigant. the bodys off Gotha GII/GIII and Albatros W4 besides the th Staaken, Yep all in the same scale
1/72

Until next time

Cheers
Larsa
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 08:51 AM UTC
I'm impressed.
whittman181
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 646 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 09:38 AM UTC
This ought to be an interesting build and look forward to It. Imagine the Gotha in 1/48th scale , what a monster that would be Cheers Bob
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 02:19 PM UTC
I've been hoping someone would start one of these. It's a future project of mine once i work out what to do about them decals. I recently got Rodens other Staaken kit (#55) at far less than half price compared to a hobby store. The catch being that all the lozenge decals were damaged except for one sheet. Since i have no intention of using the kit decals i decided to buy it.
The problem is my kit is the Schurtte-Lanz built version and uses different coloured lozenge to what Orion have released so far. I think. So if they don't release the lozenge for this version of Staaken then i'm not sure what i'll be doing!

Looking forward to your build for sure.

Andrew
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 03:12 PM UTC
Larsa, Some people are born to greatness. Others have it thrust upon them. Model On !
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 08:04 PM UTC
Hi Lars

Keep taking those pics - let's get this beauty into the Reviews section!

All the best

Rowan
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 09:48 PM UTC
Hi
´Going to start up this one this weekend. There some tiny sinkmarks on the inside off the fuselgae been taken care off. The idea is to get started on the enginge. These are more or less kits off there own. So pics coming this way soner or later.
Cheers
Larsa Q
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 02:26 AM UTC
Hi folks
i just had started up this one with some pics when my son( you Know)so here I am without the firts couple off pics. for the moment I´m working on all these Maybach engines 4 off them to get inside, I am going for new pics any day now so you can see what coming this way sooner or later, When all these 32-scale Rodens get finished up I can open full throttle on this one.
so stay tuned folks

Larsa
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 05:42 AM UTC
Hi
Here are the first pics off my Staaken build. I will not open the throttle full on this before the Pfalz and Albatros build is over.

The bomb bay have some tiny but irritating sinkmarks, they was fixed with Mr surfacer putty and Nail polish remover, easy fix.

The engine mount is neatly wood grained, because the small scale I did the grain on a flat basecolour, just to get the grain small and hopefully in scale.

Cheers
Larsa
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 05:52 AM UTC
Bugger, My blame folks

Larsa
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 02:44 PM UTC
As always Lars , love your wood grain effect ! I'm really looking forward on watching this one . Never done a bomber before . So this will be all new to me and I just can't believe on all that rigging ! Wow
cybermedic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 06:59 PM UTC
hi, i have started one of these nightmares awhile back. It sits on the workbench haunting me for now. i had no problems with the build of the fusalage or interior, the problem came when it was time to fit the wings on the plastic struts. the struts are weak for the wing size and weight, and bowed badly when I tried to place the upper wing on them. I told a friend about this and he sent me to a web site where someone else had encountered the same problem [ will be adding that site along soon] his fix was to replace the struts with brass tubing which took the weight and the tension of all that rigging well. decide now if you want to do this as the engine housings have the struts running through them and its a real pain to retrofit them, pics coming soon also. will have the site and review up by tomorrow.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 07:11 PM UTC
Thanks for this warning, yes I´ts always better to know the pitholes coming ahead.Like to see thoose pics

cheers
Larsa
 _GOTOTOP