_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hurricane code letters
amerks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2008 - 03:00 AM UTC
Hello Everyone
Can anyone help, Im trying to find the sqdn code letters carried on the Hurricane flown by sqdn leader CEASAR HULL of 43 sqdn as on 7/9/40
the day he was K.I.A.
The aircraft ser/no was V6641 but that is all I can find, so Im hoping some of you B.O.B. experts may be able to help.
many thanks in advance
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:08 AM UTC
I have a book on code letters, somewhere. I will try to find it and get back to you.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2008 - 01:23 PM UTC
I did check to see if he had a personal code. He apparently did not. The squadron code was NQ. I could not find the full code. So I would go with NQ. The third code letter would be a 1 in 26 guess. Sorry I could not get the whole thing for you.

He shot down two Do 17s the day he was killed. Even though he was out of ammunition, he went to the aid of a squadron mate. Both were killed. Talk about an outstanding act of bravery.

I hope you are in the process of building his aircraft.
amerks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 05:56 AM UTC
Hello Carl
Yes I do intend to model his aircraft,
but the aircraft code letters are a stumbling block, they would not have been NQ as they were 43 squadron pre-war codes, during the war they were changed to FT ,
So it would have been coded FT-? , and yes a very brave man indeed, he went to help a fellow pilot ,Dick Reynell, but both men were shot down and killed,
Caesar Hull is buried in the church at Tangmere not far from where I live, along with other pilots (german & british) killed in Battle Of Britain,
So I would love to model his Hurricane as a tribute to a very brave man.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 01:33 PM UTC
You are correct. FT was used from 9/39-4/41 on the Hurricane I's. I misread the book
 _GOTOTOP