Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Bf 109G-10 FINISHED
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 01:42 PM UTC
Here are some pics of my 1/48 scale Revell Bf 109G-10 I built as my entry for ARCs Bf 109 GB.
The model was built OOB except for resin mainwheels and Eagle Cal decals. Paints used were Model Master enamels.

Matrixone
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 02:43 PM UTC
Outstanding build and photography.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 09:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Outstanding build and photography.

I fully agree!! Les this is really cool and much more interesting (for me) than your last model posted it is even my scale!

This shows that Revells Bf 109 G-10 is a really good model although it is very old already. An AM pit and some bits'n'pieces and you have a master piece (when you are half way talented like Les).

Again: Super photography ... did you do a feature from the tread about your background poster and how you take pictures?

cheers

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 09:33 PM UTC
Excellent build, I am just about to build the same model and I might even do the same version with EagleCal decals.

Thanks for sharing - Very inspiring!
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 04:55 AM UTC
Thanks Carl, Steffan, and Jesper!

Steffan,
I agree that this old Revell kit is really old now but STILL is worth the time to build, I have a few more in my stash and will build more of them next year.
The top picture I used a model RR scenic backdrop but the rest of the pics I used a backdrop I airbrushed myself. I might have posted step by step pics of how I painted this backdrop here at Aeroscale but I also posted the same pics over at Hyperscale a few months back.

Jesper,
The kit is easy enough to build but just beware of the wing dihedral, if built out of the box the wing is way too flat...I shaved down and sanded the wing roots to ensure the proper dihedral.
I highly recommend using Eagle Cals, they are easy to work with and have great detail and can make even this old Revell look pretty good. Whenever possible I use Eagle Cals and always have had good results with them, why go through all the trouble of building and painting a nice model and then ruin it with crappy decals? Thats why I rarely use decals that come with kits...I have been burned before.

BTW, the 109 I built did NOT have the sealing tape you see near the wing tips, the Eagle Cal instructions had that wrong, after my model was finished I spotted a picture of this 109 in one of my Kagero books and it shows it not to have the sealing tape on the wings.

Matrixone
tferedo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 58 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 01:00 AM UTC
Great work on your 109 and nice touch on those photos.

Cheers,
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 03:05 AM UTC
Hi Les. Like they said before, Very nice build and photography, very atmospheric. Love the shot under the wing. Great job, Wingman out.
PropDuster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 03:51 AM UTC
Good job your photography really sets off the fine work you did on the model
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 06:33 AM UTC
Thanks guys!

Taking pictures of my models has actually turned into my favorite part of this hobby and have invested money in several kits ground crew and airfield support equipment, also I am buying a new more advanced camera and have purchased extra large foam board sheets so I can paint improved backdrops.
The problem I have is never having enough time to do all the things I have planned!

Below is one of my Fw 190s that I am building, a late war big tail Fw 190A, yes there were a few of of these actually built during the war.

This model should be finished sometime in early winter of 2008.

Matrixone
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 08:08 AM UTC
You did a very fine job , really like the pictures , something that I'm not so good at right now .
Any tips or pointers would be nice .
glamdring
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 09:04 AM UTC
Nice work again Les. I, too, like the shots looking under the wing of another.
Allen
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:58 AM UTC
If you can have it done by October 31, you should enter it into the Battle for Europe Campaign.
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 03:19 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments terri, Allen, and Carl!

terri,
The best advice I can give you in taking pictures of your models is use outdoor lighting, I ALWAYS take pictures of my models outside and have had good results doing so.
I have found that direct sunlight can be too harsh, days that have light overcast are perfect conditions for getting good pictures. If you can't go outside to take pictures the next best thing is taking pictures inside close to a big picture window, you should still have enough natural light to get good pics.

Carl,
My Fw 190 will likely not be finished by Cct. 31, I am building a number of Fw 190s all at once but will not paint any of them until I get the second volume of Jerry Crandall's Dora book, there is supposed to be a chapter in the book that covers camouflage patterns and colors used on late war Focke-Wulfs and look forward to finding out what Jerry has come up with. I think the book (Vol. 2) will be published late this year, I hope it is sooner than that!

Matrixone
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 09:10 PM UTC
Hi Les

well, there is the two volumes (at the moment) work from JaPo. The books are really great and all about Fw 190 D camouflage and markings.

http://www.japo.eu/products.php?prod=1

http://www.japo.eu/products.php?prod=2

maybe a bit expensive on your side of the pond (same here with the Eagle books, despite the high flying Euro)

cheers

Steffen
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 02:46 PM UTC
Steffan,
Thanks for the heads up on those JaPo books, I already have both of them and they are excellent! I am very much looking forward to the third volume and the color chip page that will be included with it.

The Eagle Editions Dora book and the two JaPo volumes cover many of the same aircraft and I think Eagle Editions book is more accurate in describing the camouflage colors than the JaPo books, for example the Fw 190D-9 (W.Nr. 600150) ''< 1'' of JG 4 is well covered in the Eagle Editions book with many pictures a few even in color that clearly proves this machine was painted in 74/75/76, JaPo also covers this same a/c but they incorrectly described the colors as 75/83/76 which makes me wonder how many other a/c that were in the gray camouflage colors but are being described as being painted in the late war green and brown colors.
I am sure JaPo will correct some of their earlier color callouts in their yet to be published third volume, but for this year Eagle Editions second volume of the Dora book will likely answer many questions about late war Focke-Wulf camouflage patterns and colors.

Matrixone
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 08:04 PM UTC
Many thanks Les

I thought the two publications could compliment each other (sadly my actual budget does not allow me to get the Eagle Editions books). As for accuracy .. . Jerry has been wrong too. I like to try to make my own decisions based on good research. 83 and 74 are quite similar hues and old colour photos can be problematic too ---many German pix have a red tint many american are blue or greenisch. and the printing process also changes colors. It really takes a scientist to determine the right colour. As you have much expertise with these I think you are right with 74/75 over 76

Ohh well, better get a job soon so I can afford all those books (many new stuff recently out e.g. KG 6 vol.2; Jagdfliegerverbände 10/II ...)

again many thanks for your appraisal!

cheers

Steffen
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 02:26 PM UTC
Thanks Steffan,

You are correct about some of those older color photographs from the WWII era being a little ''off'' in reproducing the actual colors, but the color photographs of the JG 4 Fw 190 D-9 in the Eagle Editions book are very well produced with good color balance.
I hope you can get the Eagle Editions book someday because it really is an outstanding piece of work and it does compliment the two JaPo volumes quite nicely...I have been studying the camouflage colors of the WWII Luftwaffe for the last thirty years and the fine works by the JaPo team and Jerry Crandall of Eagle Editions has been a great benefit to all of us who want to learn more about this subject. I have learned quite a bit the past few years because of all the good reference books available now.

Matrixone
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 08:37 AM UTC
An absolute beautiful 109 !!!!! Great pics as well... Thanks for sharing Les.

matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 12:10 PM UTC
Thanks for looking Penny!

Matrixone
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steffan,
I think Eagle Editions book is more accurate in describing the camouflage colors than the JaPo books, for example the Fw 190D-9 (W.Nr. 600150) ''< 1'' of JG 4 is well covered in the Eagle Editions book with many pictures a few even in color that clearly proves this machine was painted in 74/75/76, JaPo also covers this same a/c but they incorrectly described the colors as 75/83/76 which makes me wonder how many other a/c that were in the gray camouflage colors but are being described as being painted in the late war green and brown colors.

..I agree - I had exactly the same thoughts. However I do think the Eagle book is slightly spoilt by the fanciful red Ta 152 - despite the 'certificate' of authenticity. Bet the vets had some fun with that....

great work Les ..and I'm intrigued by the 'large-tailed' 190 As....
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 06:09 AM UTC
Thanks Neil,

The story about the orange Ta 152 is interesting but I have my doubts about it....but that is nit picking, Jerry's Dora book is terrific and I can't wait for Volume II.
That picture of the short nosed Fw 190 with the Ta 152 tail in Volume I was a pleasent surprise, I have read in other books that late in the war some A-9's and F-9's were fitted with the Ta 152 tail but there were no photographs to support those claims but at least we now have proof at least one did!

Another Eagle Editions title that is of great interest to me is the one about the Ta 152, I have heard it will be published sometime next year.

Matrixone
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 265 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 06:27 AM UTC
Fantastic photos (and model too of course!). What camera/settings do you use?
 _GOTOTOP