_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
luffewaffe enthusiasts...
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:19 PM UTC
Hi to all luffewaffe enthusiasts
Im building revell's 1/32 bf 109 k4 kit and wish to do it as if it had been shot damaged enough for the pilot to land it on the ground.. i was wondering if anyone had any pictures of it maybe damaged tail wing or a few shots to airframe behind the pilot etc...

When a plane is stationery on the ground all the air flap fins are pointing down on both the main wings and tail wings yes??

cheers in advance

Tony

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 02:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi to all luffewaffe enthusiasts
Im building revell's 1/32 bf 109 k4 kit and wish to do it as if it had been shot damaged enough for the pilot to land it on the ground.. i was wondering if anyone had any pictures of it maybe damaged tail wing or a few shots to airframe behind the pilot etc...

When a plane is stationery on the ground all the air flap fins are pointing down on both the main wings and tail wings yes??

cheers in advance

Tony

are you talking about a crash belly skid landing, or just an emergency wheels down landing? 109s were know for their lack of rolling stability BTW - lots of ground loops, broken struts, and the such plagued the whole series, even under the best of landing circumstances.

as for the position of the flight control surfaces, it depends on how sloppy the pilot was about locking them into position upon exiting the aircraft. by late war, they got pretty sloppy about it. Early war, you'll see less of it. Pre-war, you'll rarely even see the leading edge slats drooping (drooping leading edge slats are almost a signature of the wartime 109 series). people love to model flaps in the down position because it adds interest, but that doesn't mean it happened on the real thing all the time. British and American plans almost never sat on the tarmac with flaps down.

However, 109s are far more frequently seen with flaps and slats down, and just after a crash landing, this is quite likely to be the case anyway with any aircraft, so in your case it would certainly be appropriate to model the control surfaces as you said.
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:45 PM UTC
hi Vance

i did mean emergency wheels down landing lol
so on all the flaps i should put them down even on the tail wings?

have you any pictures of some damage to a 109 while its landed with wheels down atall??
im still novice with trying to create damage :s unless you got a better idea for me ??

cheers in advance

Tony
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 02:40 AM UTC
Anthony, I have posted some pictures in your previous post about the same subject as inspiration. I have not found any of the K-4 version, but lots of other 109 versions.

Hope this helps.
 _GOTOTOP