Need for Speed teaser ...
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 08:45 PM UTC
Hi all

Before I start my Storch I wanted to finish this project. I bought the Flashback kit of the Me 163A 1 or 2 years ago in a sale for 5 Euro. It has only a few parts but is pretty difficult due to the 4 fuselage parts. Much filling and sanding is needed at the nose and the wing-stern transition.

It lay around for quite a while because the pix in the Me 163 books (Ransom/Camman Classic Publ.) seem to be neither RLM 02 nor Cremeweiß (standard glider colour). It looks a bit like 65 or 76 .. in the end I went the "standard" road and painted it RLM 02 with a very glossy finish.

A bit of historical background: this is Me 163 A V4 KE+SW. On October 2nd 1941 Heini Dittmar flew 1003, 67 km/h (=Mach 0,84 according to the instructions) being the first man flying faster than 1000 km/h ... he surely felt the need for speed

So here are the pix:

comments welcome

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:31 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

Nice job! I've got the kit stashed away myself somewhere, so thanks for the heads-up about the amount of filling and sanding needed. I remember the resin cockpit features curved sidewalls - did they match the interior contours of the fuselage okay?

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I remember the resin cockpit features curved sidewalls - did they match the interior contours of the fuselage okay?

Hi Rowan

thanks mate!

well, as far as I remember the fit was o.k. I think I used crocodile clamps to fix the walls to the fuselage while the CA was drying. As for filling and sanding. It is not so much the amount of filler needed, but to get the transitions smooth especially where the wing runs into the fuselage.

one day I finish the He 178 ... the 163 is a charme compared to that beast.

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 08:06 PM UTC
I have the production version in my stash - maybe as the overall red version. Now that could be a striking scheme...

Thanks for the idea, Steffen
 _GOTOTOP