_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Airfix Mini Kit P-51D Mustang
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:23 PM UTC
Sometimes, especially after a night at the bench like I had last night,( long story! ), you just need to sit down and remind yourself that this hobby is supposed to be fun!
As modellers we can find ourselves obsessing over the details that, in some peoples eyes, make a model into a showstopper.
Seam sanding, priming, preshading, paint fading techniques, decals, decal solutions, paint masks, photo etch, am resin parts, oil washes, varnish, klear, etc etc,,,and that doesnt include any research!
Sometimes I just want to build a model plane!
So, while browsing in of all places, a garden centre today, my eye was drawn to a display of 100th scale Airfix Mini Kits, I couldnt resist picking one up.
Retailing at £3.99, these kits come prepainted and include a display stand.Although glue is required I found most of the parts just clicked together.
If only all Airfix kits went together like this!
So, a most enjoyable evening without any stress and my little Mustang is together.
What a fabulous introduction these kits will make to a youngster who wants to "build a plane like dad does". Apparently they are selling very well, and deservedly so.
The range includes the P-51D,(3 versions)..F-14 Tomcat (3 versions) F-117 Nighthawk (4 versions) and of course, the Spitfire (4 versions)

Nige
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 01:17 PM UTC
Nice one mate. Quickest model you have built .
I have seen these in a few shops and never really paid much attention to them, but they do look pretty good once built. The base is a nice touch.
As you say they are ideal for kids just starting out.
Are they metal or plastic ?
Andy
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice one mate. Quickest model you have built .
I have seen these in a few shops and never really paid much attention to them, but they do look pretty good once built. The base is a nice touch.
As you say they are ideal for kids just starting out.
Are they metal or plastic ?
Andy

Hi Andy.
Yep, ideal for kids. The base really does set everything off nicely.
The kits are plastic, and the Mustang kit came on 2 sprues.
A nice touch is that the sprue attachment points are mainly on the mating surfaces of the parts, so when you take them off the sprue you dont take off a section of paint as well.
What this does mean however, is that you have to carefully clean up the parts before assembly. Maybe a job for the "responsible adult",
Nige
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe a job for the "responsible adult",
Nige

The Beloved then .
Andy
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What a fabulous introduction these kits will make to a youngster who wants to "build a plane like dad does".

...very neat Nige !

I picked up one of the Spitfires for my 9 year old a while back.....but so far I haven't been able to wean him off the Warhammer.. ..
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:26 AM UTC
Wow that certainly looks better than the Tomcats Airfix offer in that range. I've got two of the Tomcat's and the sprue joints aren't on the mating surfaces, the cockpit glazing is just painted blue, the tires need painting and you don't get a base with them
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008 - 01:40 AM UTC
Hey, that's one keen-looking '51! Well worth 3.99. I wouldn't be able to resist a little weathering though.....
 _GOTOTOP