_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II: Germany
Aircraft of Germany in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Eduard instrument panel question
Removed by original poster on 08/24/08 - 23:16:14 (GMT).
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 02:59 AM UTC
Hi

CA will most probably ruin the part if it leaks through to a visible part of the acetate sheet. If you can manage that CA is o.k. I used wood glue (white glue) and have recently change to Gators Grip (which is something similar). Also it is possible to use clear paint or future.

HTH

cheers

Steffen
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 10:14 PM UTC
I haven't had problems with CA ruining acetate sheet instruments. If left to dry on it's own, it most probably won't develop any fogging. Putting a drop of future or something similar to simulate the glass will blend in with the CA so you won't even know it's there.

What problem I've had with supergluing instrument panels is the ease of getting the parts misaligned with the fast-setting adhesive. This is the main reason I've pretty much completely switched to PVA and now gator glue for gluing these.
Adhesives that dry clear are convenient, you can apply the glue to the entire back panel and not worry about going over the instruments. Sometimes you won't even need to apply clear to the instruments.

Btw, it pays off to give those pre-painted PE parts a coat of clear flat (or whatever finish suits the build), as it prevents the finish from chipping off when handled or bent, and keeps CA from harming the coat as well.
A real life story: I once almost ruined one pre-colored instrument panel with CA when I didn't give the part a clear coat before assembly. (Which I usually do with at least all parts that will be bent, the clear coat prevents the pre-painted finish from chipping off)
To my surprise, the finish began to run when I was handling and aligning the parts. Fortunately it didn't happen on any of the instrument detail. When not poked or otherwise messed with, the finish stayed in place, but CA does seem to make unprotected pre-painted finish susceptible to getting scrubbed off.
JamesDean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2008 - 01:03 AM UTC
That is some great advice. My thanks.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2008 - 02:26 AM UTC
You're welcome.

And to clear up the issue in my previous post, CA seemed to re-liquify the pre-painted finish, so it was vulnerable only when the superglue was setting. It all dried up nicely.
rogerp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2008 - 09:42 AM UTC
Where does one get Gator glue?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts