_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
ME-109G-14 Dio Ideas, Got Any?
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 10:11 AM UTC
Does anyone have any ideas for a 109G-14. Its a 1/48 "Air War Over Italy" Hasegawa kit. I am done with it and stumped for ideas. I would like it to be small also, becuase I couldn't steal big pieces of wood from my grandpa when I did.

Thanks!

~Chip #:-)
ZoomieE7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 11:24 AM UTC
Chip, Not trying to bust on ya, but the best dioramas are planned before the model/figure/central feature is completed. That way, any modifications (battle damage, open maintenence panels, whatever) necessary to get the idea or theme of the diorama across can be integrated into the "whole," as a really good diorama is more than the sum of its parts. For example, check out the excellent "Gemini Recovery" dio on the homepage. Highly recommend Shep Paine's "How to Build Dioramas" from Kalmbach Publishing, or back issues of FineScale Modeler. That being said, there are little touches that you might add to the groundwork of your display base or the model itself. Example : for conveying "Sunny Italy" you might scratch build an umbrella to be placed over the open cockpit, or for "The Final Defense of the Fatherland" you might construct camouflage netting strung over poles to hide the plane from marauding P-51's or P-47's. Hth, Rob
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 03:20 PM UTC
Zoomie, I was talking about something like sitting on a dirt airfield next to some tall weeds.Nothing spctacular just a scene. Are you kidding? I don't want to put anymore effort into than I have to. Just kiddin, I did the same with my B7A Grace. Just but it and put it on a runway sittin there. Thanks for the ideas about the camo netting. I am thinkin here!

~Chip #:-) :-)
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 02:21 AM UTC
Hey Chip,
How about having it flaming a Mustang, would love to see one of those shot down.

Chris (++) (++) Friendly Pig
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 02:54 AM UTC
Some other little touches could include wheel chocks (carved form a bit of wood) or a piece of canvas draped on a wing or on the ground (a piece of tissue soaked in dilute white glue and painted) or maybe a drip tray under the engine with oil in and a few oil streaks running down the engine covers above it.
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 02:04 AM UTC
Check the Internet (do a google search on 109G14, or 109+Italy, etc...) or the library. The best way to recreate a real life situation is the find some pics.

Also, Armorama, Modeling Madness, Aircraft Resource Center, Hyperscale, Internet Modeler, PC Modeler, and Fine Scale Modeler are all great websites for ideas...

Best of luck,

Scott
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 02:28 AM UTC
Italy huh - how about a dirt tarmac next to some grape vines.

Or you could do simple tarmac with a backdrop image or a famous Italian land mark.
 _GOTOTOP