_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
decal application
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 06:51 AM UTC
I have a couple of coats model master flat clear acryl applied to AC and am ready to apply decals, it is necesary to have future floor polish applied instead? will the model master clear coat be good enough?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hi Dave

NEVER!!! place decals on a flat surface! You will get silvering i.e. air trapped unter the decal. The flat apperance is an illusion when light scatters on a rought surface (and does not reflect like on gloss).

You do not have the lay a total gloss coat on -- though I would recommend that as it is difficult to get an even finish if you have very different surfaces under that final layer.

EDIT Re-reading your post I probably mistake your intention: any gloss clear cote will be fine! Enamels have the tendency to yellow over time thus acrylic are preferred by some (me too). Future got in the modelling community because you get much stuff cheap. The improving effect on canopies/clear parts was a welcome addition discovered later.

HTH

Steffen
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 02:14 PM UTC
thanks, I will go ahea on your reccomendation..was not sure of the clear coats mentioned would be an issue for decal application since the only difference is flat vs gloss...and different products of course
 _GOTOTOP