_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Simple conversions
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 08:35 AM UTC
I thought that we might enjoy having a thread concerning simple conversions. This can involve research that will help you think outside the box. Often time the unique or little known fact can lead to a very enjoyable build. The C.VI was the C.III airframe with the Argus engine. A scratchbuilt camera replaced the rear gun and a Vickers replaces the Spandau. Since I went with Polish markings I included a lower wing with one of the earliest forms.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 09:50 AM UTC
The Albatros C.VI is of course a machine (one of 50) that was modified to take the 180hp Argus Ar.IIIa motor. *These were to be used act as trainers for the Albatroc C.V and C.VII machines that were coming off the production lines. *This machine 1836/16 is a typical trainer that has *recovered in 5 color camouflage. (A rare printing from Aeromaster/Eagle Strike before colours were finalized) *The scheme/ personal marking is strictly fictionalized. *I found a general description in some of Fauntleroy's notes from his days in the Polish Air Service. *So the motif is my interpretation. *The replacement wing was a nice touch that allowed me to used a Polish city insignia pre-1919.

The wood on the Alb.C.III is real wood. *Doll house items *from a local hobby store. *'Michaels' and 'Hobby Lobby'. I simply sanded down the appropriate thickness on the fuselage sides.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 01:48 PM UTC
Stephen did you use the Eduard kit for this ? Looks like the Eduard kit ! Very nice build .
Since real wood was used , how was the staining done ?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 07:18 PM UTC
Greetings Ms Terri, Yes it is the old Eduard kit. This wood came precoloured/ stained.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:49 PM UTC
Here the old DML 1/48 Fokker Dr.I serves as the basis for a build representing one of the Blue Max aircraft (from the 1966 film.)

The Blue Max Dr.I(designer's from messerschmitt built several of these for the movie) is a DML 1/48 scale kit modified to match photo stills and *published atricles on the subject. Fairing over the gun ports, a modified resin item from Engines & Things of Canada and a cowling made from an old Aurora Nieuport 11 formed the basis of the build. *The rudder is an over sized item from a Tom's Modelworks D.VI.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 05:47 AM UTC
I didn't think that Fokker Dr.I types came with lozenge from the factory . I have never seen any in books or photo's . Was this done just for the movie or were there some that were covered in this manner .
I like the build , interesting ..................
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:03 AM UTC
It was done just for the movie.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 06:06 AM UTC

The next aircraft came from *H.Hughe Wynne's manuscript *of 'The Motion Picture Stunt Pilots and Hollywood Classic Aviation Movies' Book (April 1987 ISBN 0-933126-85-9.) *It was originally a civilian medical transport. *This was the day *when they would transport a doctor to a remote area where an accident had occured. *Then they got the bright Idea to create an ambulance version to transport the patient to the Hospital. *When Hospitals decided that aircraft were too expensive to operate (in favor of new shiny 4 wheel ambulances.) *The Hospitals sold their war surplus Jennies to civilian pilots who contracted to movie studios. Over 300 feature length movies included aviation themes and scenes between 1920-1941.Flying became big business.

I took some liberties with the old black & white photos of 1927. *The name Dilhofer *Is the Americanized version of Dillhoefer (Use in The Great Waldo Pepper) *The use of the camera ship in the last of that movie - was right on to the way that Cecil B Demilie and others used to shoot their films. My film camera was scratchbuilt from pieces straight out of the spares box.

Tom Mix western hero/cowboy extrodinaire flew a Jenny to all his distant movie locations. *On at least one occassion he took up his western idol, Wyatt Earp. *It was a given that the pilot of an aircraft carried the name of its owner on the underside of the lower wings and fuselage sides. *

(I understand that a Lindberg Jenny took an IPMS Judges Grand Nats award back in the 1970's. *Done by the founder of Kit Collector's Clearinghouse Mr. John Burns.)
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 02:40 PM UTC
Hello Stephen - some nice conversions there and a nice thread to provide inspration for us looking to do something out of the ordinary!

Hope ya don't mind me posting one of my own - here is my 1/48 BE-12b kit-bashed from the Aeroclub BE12 and Roden SE5a. I cut the nose off the SE5a and grafted it on to the BE12 airframe. (Roden came out with their BE-12b just as I was getting close to getting this one finished... sigh!)

BC
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 04:02 PM UTC
Excellent Brad! Yes please! I welcome in put. Your build of this type is one my favorites.
It follows the 'Theorem of Progression' perfectly.

1.) As soon as you scratchbuild a model, a manufacturer will release a vacuform kit of it.
2.) As soon as you finish the vacuform kit, an injected molded version (this includes slush plastic, resin or metal) of the prototype will be released.
3.) As soon as you convert the injected molded kit of the prototype to the version you want, your version will be released by another manufacturer who will, include the refined versions of the decals, resin or photo etch that you had suggested to them on their website. But they will not mention you or provide you with gratis examples for your trouble.
4.) You can't win.(Because manufactures will inevitably simplify their processes.)
5.) You can't break even. Unless you value your own work.
6.) But, you can publish an article that will give you a chance to review their kit and point out its flaws.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 03:14 AM UTC
Brad , excellent build ! thanks for sharing .
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 08:19 PM UTC
Here you take a 1/48 scale resin Siemens Halks rotary, a DML / Dragon Fokker Dr.I with some toolers aluminum and add some lengthened landing legs. Lincoln-log cut and match two long propellers. Viola! You have a Fokker V.7 (a)

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 07:09 AM UTC
Here is a kit crash of an Aurora Fok. D.VII and a DML / Dragon Fok. Dr.I to make the Fokker V.6 w/n 1798. it is 5 plane prototype and was flown in this configuration during December 1917 by various pilots at the Fokker factory at Schwerin/ Gorries.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 08:31 AM UTC
This is the result of a 5 step conversion from an Eduard 1:48 Nieuport XI to a SSW D.I.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 03:53 PM UTC
Very nice Build Stephen ! If I recall right , you mentioned the 5 step's in your Rodens SSW review . or was that for the D.IV . I have to go and look now ....
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 01:36 AM UTC
I really enjoy seeing this thread everytime it is revived. All beautiful builds.
 _GOTOTOP