_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Richthofen Dr.I 152/17
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 12:50 PM UTC
Hi ladies and gents,
I'm building the Roden1/72nd Fokker Triplane and wish to finish it as Fokker Dr.I 152/17 (w/n 1864) JG1 March 1918.(I'm going through a Richthofen period) However can someone please confirm the colours of the wings. the instructions calls for Matt steel grey underside with red uppers with pink surrounding the iron crosses is this correct?

Thanks Guys & Girls in advance

Chris
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 01:15 PM UTC
Chris , The paint guide in the instruction sheet are basically a guide they are close , but they are not a 100% . I'm not very familiar with this airframe . There are guys who do know here on this site . Stephen (JackFlash) has built over 30 of the Fokker Dr.I Excellent builds !!!!! . Check with him .
Glad to see you asking questions . It's the best tool we have ! This hobby you are always learning new stuff all the time . Happy Modeling .
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 01:34 PM UTC
Hi Chris,

All of the Tripes that MvR Flew had any red applied over the original factry finish, which was The typical Fokker streaked finish over linen on the uppers and light blue on the undersides.
The crosses were situated in a white panel.

In the case of 152/17, Only the engne cowling, the upper wing, the turtle deck and the rear flanks of the fuselage and the tail (rudder and horizontal stabilisers and elevators) were painted red. All undersurfaces were left as light blue.

The red paint was not applied so thick so as to be opaque, so some of the original finish would have been visable.

Cheers,

Hugh

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 03:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi ladies and gents,
I'm building the Roden1/72nd Fokker Triplane and wish to finish it as Fokker Dr.I 152/17 (w/n 1864) JG1 March 1918.(I'm going through a Richthofen period) However can someone please confirm the colours of the wings. the instructions calls for Matt steel grey underside with red uppers with pink surrounding the iron crosses is this correct?
Thanks Guys & Girls in advance
Chris

Greetings Chris and all;
From The Laws of Modeling 101 (Yes we are going there again) Law #16 - The kit instructions, may be very interesting, but are 95 % of the time irrelevant.

Click Here.

For Fok. Dr.I 152/17 there are two schemes we know of from photographs. As our lovely Ms. Terri has pointed out I have a fondness for the Dr.I types. See my
Portfolio #2

As Hugh mentioned my images #5 & 6) represent w/n1864, Fok. Dr.I 152/17 was flown during February and March 1918 by Rittmeister Manfred von Richthofen commander of JG.I. This is a DML kit with decals from the spares box.

Somewhere around the second week in April 1918 it was overpainted similarly to Dr.I 425/17 but for 152/17 it was done in the field.
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 05:39 PM UTC
Jeeezzzzzzzzzz you guys are quick,
Many many thanks,
Going on the build so far, this may be my one and only WW1 aircraft in 1/72nd ,the carpet monster has eaten half the cockpit , and its so small,but I'll bite the bullet and continue... anyway I'd quite like to do the aircraft of Voss , Kempf' and another Richthofen (an Albatros)
but I'll probably move to 1/48th at least I'll be able to handle the parts and have a better than 50/50 chance of spotting them if they end up on the floor before they get eaten.
Any recommendations??????

TIA again
Chris
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 02:19 AM UTC
Chris,
For the aircraft you mention I would recommend the following:
Get the new Eduad dual combo kit of the Fokker Dr.I in 1/48th. Markings are included for Kempf. You will have to scrounge a bit for the Voss markings for his triplane, and conversion on the cowling would be required. The parts for the rounded tail plane are included as are the early style ailerons. You can pick up the weekend edition of the Eduard Albatros DV and from there it is a matter of paintwork! Of course if you want to do the Voss Albatros DIII the Eduard kit is the only game in town and is available as a weekend edition, and decals are available from SPADA. I hope this helps,
RAGIII

PS, the reason Roden suggest the pink under the crosses is that in at least one photo of 152/17 the white field appears to show through the thinly applied red. Roden interprets this to show as pink. A more realistic way to handle this would be to paint the white fields(or use decals) and then apply your
red to the upper wing. Again IHTH,
RAGIII
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 02:42 AM UTC
Hey Chris , Thanks for asking the question . I wasn't to sure on the colours and went and had a look . Ended up buying a book on the Fokker Dr.I Edaurd has done the Alb. D.V many times over through out the companys career . Rick is right can't go wrong with their kits .
 _GOTOTOP