_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Luftwaffe colour problem
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 12:03 AM UTC
As a recent returnee to the hobby I have availed myself of the considerable expertise here on numerous occasions. I now have a specific colour problem that I hope someone can help me with. After a few allied efforts I have decided to have a go at a Luftwaffe subject. I intend to build a FW 190 A5 circa 1943. I haven't decided on a specific aircraft yet but want to do the "green" low level camo seen on the Eastern front. Now here is the problem; an RLM 76/81/82 scheme has been suggested but whilst I do not profess any expertise in this area I have always thought that RLM 81 and 82 were late (at least late1944) war colours and are not appropriate.
My best uneducated guess would be an RLM 76/70/71 scheme as I imagine these colours would have been available,I'm just worried that I may be barking up the wrong tree!!
Here's hoping this all makes sense.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 12:22 AM UTC
Hi Steven

those JG 54 camouflage colours were not Luftwaffe standard! I would suggest you do a google (or other) search for pix. There are a few colour shots available!

e.g.

see how different the same picture looks colourwise

just to show a few

in the end it is your own decision (on these field applied colours). I have eduards weekend edition and I will follow their advise, except the sandy wing top colour

HTH

best wishes

Steffen
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 02:32 AM UTC
Blimey, Thanks for the pics. They look like an explosion in a paint shop! It looks like they have slapped their own concoction over a previous,more standard scheme. Never get away with that in the R.A.F.
There goes another "racial" Stereotype!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 02:38 AM UTC
Hi Steven

of course the a/c were delivered in a standard scheme (74/75/76) but then at the front the machines were repainted. Some pilots flew over the new air field and then the paint shop got some work. all colours that were available were used: Luftwaffe, Heer, Russian ... and mixed to colours that suit the environment .. in winter you have some white elements too ....

very bad for the modeller but essential then to prevent being recognized and bombed out. As I wrote above .. it is up to you to choose your colours ...

cheers

Steffen
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 09:26 PM UTC
Burnt the midnight oil researching last night. There seem to be two schools of thought.

1. The paint shops used non aircraft specific or even captured soviet paints,

2. They mixed their own from available stocks.

I don't know much about wartime aircraft finishes but I simply can't buy into the first option.In the case of Soviet paints they would not have known their composition. Also they would need to find a lot of paint and I understand that the retreating red army didn't like to leave an unburnt dog biscuit behind!
Colour mixing is something I do understand in my professional life.
All the green hues and sandy colour could be made by mixing no more than three standard RLM colours so that is what I shall do.
I just need to liberate a few egg cups from the kitchen and the experiments will begin!

Thanks again for your help.

Steve
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 10:54 PM UTC
Hi Steve

I do not think the two "schools" can really be separated. Here is a short (simplified) description how the a/c get to the front:

1. manufacturer: preferably; the intended paint job was to be applied here (best conditions to apply the paint and many colours available)

2. reserve deliveries unit (I am having a hard time to describe this; the a/c were flown to a depot not too far away from the front .. but also not too close): Also here could some changes in the paintjob occur .. I am not sure if the famous JG3 (Ostfront) and JG 5 (Nordfront) birds with originally desert colours were adapted in such delivery depots or the manufacturer, but here are also very good conditions.

3. Frontline: very meagre collection of colours (02, 66, 74, 75, 76, red corrosion protection.. maybe old stocks of some other plus captured stuff ... how would you mix a sandy colour from these? ... Il-2s e.g. had such sandy colour in some of their paint schemes)

when an aircraft being damaged there are also some possibilities for repainting

4. Feldwerft (see 3)

5. Instandsetzungseinheit: repair unit for more severely damaged a/c depending on the front situation colour supply could be like 3 or 2.

6. Industrieinstandsetzung: (very badly damaged a/c were brought to special production facilities of the manufacturers and rebuilt, so similar good supply of paint can be assumed here)

The colour adjustments by JG 54 were definitely done at the frontline! I do not think there is a problem in using the soviet colours which were captured in quantities at the soviet airfields or better aerodromes (= large, well equipped "airports"). Just thin it with fuel (gasoline/petrol) and airbrush them on (or paint with a brush or a broom) For fighters I would assume airbrushing .. OTOH winter white wash was applied by the other methods.

The retreat in the first years by the Soviet Army was fast and they had not much time for "burnt soil". They were leaving quite a lot of their own people behind so the option to burn everything was even less favorable ...

Just to think about: the Germans captured thousands of tons of weapons/war material intact .. do you thik the soviets would have taken the colours with them if they could take an aircraft, a gun or a truck ?

Hope that makes sense to you. This is all my own conclusions from reading "some" biographies, unit histories and more general works on airwar. So prove me wrong if you think this is all BS.

all the best

Steffen

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 02:23 AM UTC
Interesting project, Steven. However, I must admit that I also mostly belive in captured paints being used - maybe in combination with RLM colours.

Anyway, there are many options, so just go for it and keep us updated
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hello again

That is all very interesting and I don't doubt your historical accuracy at all.
What I was trying to do was create the colours from material that must have been available even at the front line.

I have made the sandy colour by mixing red(23) with a green I hope approximates 25 (but any lightish green would do) and then chucking in a bit of yellow (04). It looks good tested on the underside an old spitfire!

I have concocted a darker muddy green/brown even more simply by adding some red to good old RLM70. I haven't sprayed this yet - maybe this evening.

I'm sure the Russians did leave much materiel behind ,especially in the early months of their war but you must agree that a paint store burns awfully well!

I'm sure the Russians left stuff behind but a store of paints burns awfully well.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 03:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sure the Russians left stuff behind but a store of paints burns awfully well.

true, but still there was enough that the Germans captured

Honestly I would not pay that much attention to the mixing .... you can get the same colour using different base colours. Better try to get the end result convincing. There are a few processed colour pix on ebay by a NZ seller. Just have a look. Those may be a better starting point for the finish than the examples above. Always remember: the paints were mixed to fit the environment to hide the planes.

cheers

Steffen
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Experiment

There has been much written about, for example, the mysterious “Sky” or RLM 84 colours and other late war colours that are generally regarded as new or non-standard. Some scorn all such references as false information while others truly believe these shades actually existed. It must be said that there is no record of the RLM issuing directives about any shades considered to be RLM 84 or any other “new” shades beyond RLM83. But there have been enough reports and recorded sightings to strongly suggest some, if not all, of these colours were actually used. So I think there is some truth in the matter especially after the results of the first phase of this little experiment.

It was something Rowan (Armorama member Merlin) said that got me thinking, i.e. “it’s probable that meager supplies of correct RLM colours were stretched by mixing them, for example, with plain old white."

I decided to carry out an experiment to simulate what a ground crew, responsible for applying camouflage to aircraft, might have been forced to do. The experiment, using Humbrol enamels, was not greatly controlled for two reasons- 1) I wanted to do this as a rough guide, and 2) If it is to be presumed these colours did find their way onto aircraft, the circumstances in which they would have been applied would be far from controlled.

Basically I took each official late war RLM colour and mixed set percentages of RLM21 white and a second batch with RLM 76 Hellblau instead of white. In most cases, shades very similar to the Sky colours were achieved. Based on the findings, I made the colour charts you see to the right. Please regard these as a guide only as they are computer generated.

Hi all
Ages ago I did a little experiment as above. Full text in Luft 46 Part 2 in the features.

Hope it helps

Cheers
Peter
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 - 12:30 AM UTC
Hi Peter
I've read your colour feature with great interest, it's very good. I haven't been as rigorous as you were but my results are very similar. Essentially, with very few starting colours you can create a wide range of non standard but "RLM like" colours.

This all stems from my initial feeling that when pilots said "paint my machine green" the ground crews did not start slapping captured Soviet paints or other materials of unknown properties and provenance onto their precious airframes, but rather would mix suitable colours from the RLM paints with which they were very familiar!

As modellers we don't really have to do this as we have hundreds of colours available to us. I was just trying to establish the principle, unaware that you had already done it!!

Cheers

Steve
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 - 01:12 AM UTC
Hi Steven

Well, I thought I had explained it thoroughly but obviously you do not get my point (I am only talking about JG 54 now)

These colours were applied in field condition in Staffel (12 a/c) or at maximum Gruppen (3 or 4 Staffeln) strength. The repair part of those units do not carry a lot paint with them through the russian steppe.Just enough to fix one or anther bullit hole or panel or rudder. If they were lucky they had a hardened meadow with some tents or a wooden house. .. of course the also used some russian airfields but those were mostly reserved for the heavier aircraft (bomber).

I am not totally sure, but lets assume the repainting job was not made on the small air fields but on a formerly Russian aerodrome maybe Kiew, Reval ..what you want. These surely had some larger paint stacks, but also much more units to serve. I do not think the chief there would be very happy if the fighter maint. crews take all his yellow and black to mix some green shade when there is enough russian green available (and red to achieve brown).

Edit Of course when there was no supply of proper Soviet colour there had to be another way. And if RLM 70 or 71 would fit the needs, then of course these would have been used .. there was no rule in this

One totally different thing is late war colours ... but that would lead too far away from your original question.

Please consult Merricks and Ullmanns books for further information ... still there will always be questions to remain.

hope I made point a little clearer.

all the best

Steffen

flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 - 01:25 AM UTC
Hi again.

I think you are both right.
I think RLM stocks could have been mixed to get a close enough shade or eke out what RLM stocks they did have by including mixing AND pressing in to service anything they could lay their hands on to do the job, including captured stocks.

And that does not include the effect of thinners, official or agents pressed into service.
A new can of worms?
Schnapps is better drunk than used to thin a shade of green.

Cheers
Peter
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 - 01:34 AM UTC
Hi Peter

thanks for your input ,

Yes I just made an addendum to my recent post. This was war it was done what seemed necassary. I just do not think that there is a firm statement this was done this or that way. That's why I maybe overly accented the Soviet colours (which were not bad at all, as those were prewar stocks).

I think Occham's Razor is an universal tool. So IMO, it was used what was available fast and in sufficient quantities.

All the best

Steffen
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 05:40 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Thanks again for your input, I think you have explained yourself very well! These wartime schemes (especially ones done "in the field" ) are ,when all is said and done, what make these subjects so interesting to do.
I,m away from modelling for three weeks or so (gotta earn a living) but will return eager and armed with my trusty Iwata asap.

Cheers

Steve

Afterthought - didn't the RAF slap their mediterranean camo on in theatre , albeit without the freedom of the Luftwaffe?
Yet another can of worms!

Steve

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 11:34 PM UTC
Hi All

Standard colours

just an example of freshly applied 74/75/76 .. of cours it is a museums restauration but the colours look very good to my eye

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 01:27 AM UTC
Hi all

while searching for other stuff I found this article on hyperscale.

Green Fighters of the Eastern Front - JG 54 Colors in Russia

It supports Stevens idea of mixed RLM colours.

Still I really doubt this statement

"RLM marking paints were available immediately and in large amounts"

as already stated above (especially the large amounts part). Also I really doubt that the camo was altered for air operations. I have read many accounts that they were for hiding the aircraft (and by that the airfield) on the ground.

BUT Michael Ullman is very knowledgeable at RLM colours!

I am not sure how much he has to be credited for knowing unit history (this is no valuation, I just do not know) ... I do know Michael likes to hear/read his own words

FWIW

cheers

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP