Just finished my first airplane..???
hworth18
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 03:26 PM UTC
lol.
Hi, I just finished my first aircraft model in 20+ years.. It was a Hobbycraft 1/48 Bf-109g1/-2
which although I am speaking from an armor modelers point of view is a pretty LOUSY kit.
I was seriously disappointed in the fit and detail and the instructions left much to be desired.
I think the model came out decent and when I get a chance I will post some pics.
Next on my list are a Tamiya Fw-190, a Revell/Monogram Me-110G2 (thanks Mal) and a Revell/Monogram 1/32 Fw-190F8.. Maybe I will have a more pleasant experience with my next try.. #:-)
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 04:15 PM UTC
Congrats! I know what you mean about the Hobbycraft stuff. I myself don't care much for Hobbycraft!

~Chip
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 07:49 PM UTC
Congrats on the new plane. CHip is right Hobbycraft is not the best plane kits out there. The other two you named though are some of the better ones. Hope they will change your mind. Be careful these Winged things can be addictive
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 05:19 AM UTC
:-) I have a Hobbycraft 109G-6 and G-14 in my stache. They are not the best, when compared to tamiya and Hasegawa, but they are quite accurate. Cockpits are basic and I don't know what the fit is like. These will be used simply as canvases for a couple of interesting paint schemes :-) The Tamiya FW 190 is a completely different animal and will be a joy to build :-) If you have managed a decent model out of a "pretty lousy" kit then you are on to a winner :-) Looking forward to your pics :-)
Mal
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 05:54 AM UTC
That 1/32 R-M Fw 190F-8 may not be what you're expecting - it's a rework of the old Hasegawa Fw 190A kit, and it shows its age in some areas. If you're looking for a 1/32 kit that just about falls together, get the R-M Bf 109G-2 (it's the same kit as the Hasegawa Bf 109G-6). Whether boxed by R-M or Hasegawa, it's a great kit, period.

The Hobbycraft kits are hit and miss, but given $14 for an HC 109 with pretty good accuracy versus $30 for a relatively incremental increase in detail and accuracy, my budget still can handle the Hobbycraft 109 series. Besides, the G/K/Avia S199 kits have some pretty good optional stuff included.

HTH
BoarHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 03:16 AM UTC
You should try tamiya and hasegawa kits, since they are almost flawless or flawless at all. I have just finished the Tamiya 1/48 Me.109E-4 trop and I can tell you that I didn't even needed any putty. The pieces fell together without any problems. But if you like to work with putty and sandpaper for weeks, then you are on the right track. Many modellers like to put their hands on lousy kits and make them look spectacular, that is not my case.

modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 11:35 AM UTC
Hmmmm, I guess I like to work with putty and sandpaper, but not for weeks. That's why I practice technique.

There are some really rewarding models out there if you're willing to suffer a little bit of putty and bodywork, even though I like a lot of the new Tamiya stuff as well.

Just because some of us are old-timers doesn't make us masochists

brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 04:48 PM UTC
I agree with you guys about some kits being real dogs. I bought a 1/48 Nichimo ME109 kit for a couple of quid and no wonder the guy sold it so cheap, it is a real basic kit virtually no interior detail, not even a pilot's seat, and poorly designed regarding putting the thing together. I'm not one for scratchbuilding parts for cockpit interiors much but I will be having a go at this one because the kit has nice fine rivet detail over the entire outer surfaces that I want to see it built and painted. Normaly it would have been shelved for spares and the decals used for something else.
Bren
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cape Province, South Africa
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 12:28 AM UTC
Can't wait to see the photos!
 _GOTOTOP