_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Camo help please
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 09:40 PM UTC
Hi
can anyone please help with refs for French Navy fighter/recce camo schemes and similar aircraft type in Swiss Air Force schemes from late WW2 to post war? (1944 - 1950)

Many thanks in advance

Cheers
Peter
Stef_6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
France
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:56 PM UTC
Hello,

Quite a vast subject; I can only give you some hints for the french part of your question.

Regarding french navy camo schemes :

We've been using either GB or US planes and the planes displayed the period scheme : for Seafire Mk III, it was the temperate sea scheme (Extradark sea grey/Dak slate grey over Sky), the later use dof Seafire Mk XV was EDG over Sky;

Later came US types, mostly Sea Blue Gloss, with exception of the Dauntless used in late war reduction of german resistance that were in the 3 color schemes. This covers the use of Corsairs, Hellcat, Privateers, Dauntless, Sikorsky Helos of various types, up to P2V Neptunes and Martin Marlins.

During the 'modern' period, with introduction of national built aircarft, such as Alizé, Etendard and so on, we developped our own schemes, but this might exceed the era covered by your question.

The air force from which the recce planes were belonging used Mustang F-6 B and D, and these were NMF with OD antiglare panels.
We had a Recon squadron with P-38 end of WWII (mostly MTO and Germany campaign and these were either NMF of PRU blue (of British origin), with at least one zombie. It is a P-38 nicknamed "Jeanne" and believed to have been flown by St Exupery.
It is allegedly a P-38 in Synthetic Haze paint, with upper surfaces overpainted Olive Drab. This the fantasy theory - it could as well had been OD over Neutral grey ...

Here is what I can tell without more precise question,

HTH

Cheers

Stef (#6)
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 12:50 AM UTC
Many thanks Stef
very useful.
But now you mention...

Quoted Text

During the 'modern' period, with introduction of national built aircarft, such as Alizé, Etendard and so on, we developped our own schemes, but this might exceed the era covered by your question.

This may well cover what I am looking for.

As part of a set of British WW2 secret project profiles, I will include the Miles M58 dual powwerplant (prop plus jet engine) and am attempting a French version. As the design was of 1944/45 it may well have made its service debut a few years later, so the late 40's early 50's may suit very well.

If you can help further I would appreciate it very much.

Again many thanks Stef.

Cheers
Peter
 _GOTOTOP