_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
I give up
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hi all
Thanks to all of you who responded to my Richthofen queries.
But this kit is going no where fast as in my previous post the carpet had eaten most of the cockpit,
I just can't get to grips with building something so small, it's driving me nuts,also I've found that I cant a line things correctly so I'm giving up for the mean time
I'll put it back in it's box and hope the modeling fairies complete it.

Instead I've 3 potential projects to carry on with which are a little larger

Cheers

Chris
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 02:31 AM UTC
building in small scale can be a bit frustrating at times . You are not lone on this . I for one am having troubles building my first 1/72 scale kit . arthritis in my fingers are getting worse making it very hard for me to hold on to the parts and tools . Thats way it takes me a long time to finish a kit . There is nothing wrong with setting it a side until you feel comfortable with finishing it . Work on your skills some more try new things . 1/48 scale is good for this . Start with Eduards weekend kits . They are great for beginners and for some of us who been around for some time .
There are other kit makers that offer kits with few parts , Revell for exsample are also a good base to start with . So don't give up Chris , save it for a rainy day if you need help just ask !
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 02:51 AM UTC
Chris,

Terri is quite right. I still have 3 kits in the closet that are half complete from 5 years ago that I set aside to finish later. At that time I simply didn't have the skills and building experience to complete them to my satisfaction. I started paying more attention to forums like these and learned from other modeler's builds. Now those models in the closet don't seem so intimidating.

When working with smaller scales or smaller pieces, I limit myself to puting just a few together at one sitting, making sure they are securely glued down or fixed to the point that I know I will not have to go back or backtrack and adjust or re-glue anything. When I work from an instruction sheet, I circle the parts on the sheet that I want ot put on in one sitting then I cross off the part numbers in pencil I've put on as I go. You've probably heard the question "How do you eat an elephant?" --- "One bite at a time." When I don't use an instruction sheet, I make my own log and list of parts and build notes.

Anyway, just a few of my thoughts to help. Don't be discouraged, remember, this should be fun.

Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 08:22 AM UTC
As Mark and Terri have said, This should be fun. Go back to it when you are ready.
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 08:54 AM UTC
I had the same experience with a dragon halftrack, after a few hours I felt I was getting nowhere and everything was just a pain in the ... well, But I put it aside for most of a year, then I broke it out againg and buildt it in less than a day ...

Sometimes it just flows - other times it flows like molasses ....
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:32 AM UTC
Hi Chris,

Here is a list of the builds that I have set aside and reboxed for future finishing due to various brick walls, movings of house, new horse purchases...

In order from most recent to least...

Kariya Supermarine Seamew (50% there, got set aside so that I could concentrate on the F1 big build and the Albatros DVa. I will finish it this year)
Roden BE2c (One of three that I will build as various versions. 95% there...Got set aside due to a bad case of AMS (Advanced Modelling Syndrome)... I will finish this after the Sea Mew)
Tamiya ME 262 (at the painting stage... was painted and decalled... but the preshading bled through... Stripped back and waiting for me to get the impetus to paint it again)
Dragon Flak 88MM Flak. (ready to paint. The plastic went together in a day... Still getting up the guts to try to wheather an artillary piece)
AFC Flak 45 (As Above, but was much more fiddly to build.)
Roden 1/72 Albatros W4 (80% there. Had serious fit issues that I was not emotionally equipped to deal with at the time. Probably will languish for ever.)
Roden 1/72 Bristol Fighter (had difficulty with the wing attachment. See above.)
Airfix Sea Fire Mark 46. (At the painting stage. Was begun in a fit of enthusiasm that very quickly was dashed by the appaling fit of the wings.)
Eduard Hawker Tempest. (Painted... 90% finished. This was my first attempt at airbrushing. Very dissatisfied with the results.)
Eduard Spitfire Mk 22 (1/72) (very fiddly cockpit)

So don't feel bad.

Cheers,

Hugh
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 02:24 PM UTC
I am barely hanging in there in 1/48th. I am much more comfortable in 1/32nd. But I still build for enjoyment, and therefor, will box what I am not enjoying. Go build something fun.
MikeM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 05:34 AM UTC
Chris
About a week ago I finished a model of HMS Exeter from the ancient Matchbox kit, it took off and on over three years as it was mostly rebuilt, but I got there and am very pleased with the results, sometimes you just have to put it to one side, but if it stops becoming fun, do something else, maybe a larger scale.

Mike

chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2008 - 11:40 AM UTC
Thanks Guys and Girls
For all your input its heartening to hear that it's not just me who gets a little frustrated at times by
a build.
In the interim I put the little Fokker (pun intended) back in its box,did a little dance to the modeling fairies and have started on a 1/48th me 109 not so many tiny fiddly bits..so for the mean time I'll leave you guys alone and go and harase the WW2 guys again for info on Adolf Gallands 109E.
But as Arnie said "I'LL BE BACK"

Cheers

Chris
 _GOTOTOP