Eduard Hellcat Decals Help
beepboop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 02:50 AM UTC
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right sub forum for this, but here goes!

I ordered Eduard's 1/48 F6F-3 Hellcat a while ago from SBX models. Cut a long story short, the model has been out of stock for a bit (in fact, it seems impossible to get this kit anywhere at the moment!) and David Pennington - the most excellent propriator - let me know that it might take a while. Anyway, rather than have me wait, he's very kindly sent me Eduard's more recent Dual Combo kit of the FAA Hellcats Mk I and II for no extra charge. So I get two kits for the price of one! You can bet I'll be shopping at SBX again!

Now, about the decals.

I'm naturally thrilled at having an extra hellcat to play with. But I'd really had my heart set on painting up a F6 with that Sharkmouth of VF-27. As far as I can tell, the MkI Hellcat is identical to the F6F-3, so I've got the necessary plastic. I don't, however, have the decals.

So, i was wondering if I could put a shout out for anyone who happens to have built Eduard kit 8221 1/48 F6F-3 Hellcat and didn't use marking option (E) for Lt. Richard E. Stambook's VF-27 Sharkmouthed Hellcat. If you have your decals for that one left over, then I would be hugely grateful if you'd consider winging them my way - of course I would cover any costs involved. I'd also have a spare set of FAA decals left over, so if anyone wanted those I'd be very happy to swap.

In an ideal world, the decals I need from the Eduard set are:
2, 7, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 30, 31b, 32, 33, 40, 41, 43, 52, 53

The perfect situation would be if someone had built marking option (A) from VF-16, which used Red-trimmed Stars 'n' Bars - leaving all the decals I need to spare!

So if any obliging angels happen to be out there, please just drop me a private message or reply to this post.

Alternatively, if someone has some brilliant advice on how I could otherwise obtain a fresh set of Eduard decals, it would be great to hear that too!

Best,
Ian
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 03:56 AM UTC
Hello Ian

I cannot imagine that you easily find someone who is willing to give away his decal sheet .. maybe you get some of the stuff but surely not all.

Though you have some more options to go:

1. Sky Models Decal sheet 48046 it has markings for Stambook, P.F.Drury and G.A. Stanley of VF 27 (2 F6F-3 one F6F-5 plus a lot of other stuff incl. stars'n'bars)

2. Kagero Monography on the F6F has markings for Stambook but no stars'n'bars etc. .. you get a neat book with the decals

3. try to get a set from Eduard (you can try but I would not bet that you will succed here)

You will need a(the) late cowling for this machine check eduard.cz for the instruction sheet (click)

just my 2 €ct

cheers

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP