_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II: USA
Aircraft of the United States in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Best replacement wheels for Eduard's Hellcat?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 05:12 AM UTC
Hi,

So, the smooth tires in the 1:48 Eduard Hellcat kit are only accurate for early-production aircraft, right?
As I'll be building mine with the shark mouth markings of VF-27, the kit-wheels have to be changed.

I have the impression that there's several suitable aftermarket wheels available. But which ones to get? Also, what thread pattern should I look for?
If someone happens to have first-hand experience, I'd be grateful of recommendations.
Hazzle-free fitting of the replacement wheels would be a plus as well.

Thanks in advance.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 05:18 AM UTC
Hi Eetu

I was facing the same problem (I still do not know which are right) but I chose ultracast, because the look good and I do not know others There are early and late styles and different patterns.

http://www.ultracast.ca/aircraft.htm#F6F%20Hellcat

cheers

Steffen
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 05:13 AM UTC
Has the wheel dilemma cleared up for you yet?

I'm still looking around. Apparently True Details also makes some wheels as well, but I think I'll go with Ultracast as well, they look nice.
As you said it, the only problem is choosing the right ones. There's smooth and radial, block, and diamond theaded tires. Plus they have them with two kinds of hubs... ("Late" and the same kind as in Eduard's kit)
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 05:33 AM UTC
Hi Eetu

well I chose early hubs for the F6F-3 and late for the F6F-5 . My Vraciu machine will get early diamond the Brits will get Mk.I early block and Mk.2 late diamond ..all to have a bit of a variation

I do not know if this is right, but in the end they will all look better than the smoooth eduard wheels. BTW the hubs do not look that bad.

If you need further help, you should consider Hyperscale. much people there .. some actually know something ...SCIO: NESCIO

cheers

Steffen
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 06:05 AM UTC
I'll consider asking at hyperscale too, thanks for the tip.

I'm also leaning towards the early-hub wheels, as the kit's of an earlier production model. But then, the shark-mouthed plane is from late 1944, I wonder if the aircraft would have had later style wheels fitted by then?)

Indeed, Eduard's wheel hubs are quite nice. While they did a good job including the three different cowlings, I wonder why they didn't include several types of wheels, like they did on their Fw-190 kits.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 06:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

While they did a good job including the three different cowlings, I wonder why they didn't include several types of wheels, like they did on their Fw-190 kits.

How would you design an IM tool to produce those patterns? .. slidemolds? for wheels? that just does not work .. they could of course have added resin wheels.

Please let us know what you find out!

cheers

Steffen

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 07:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

While they did a good job including the three different cowlings, I wonder why they didn't include several types of wheels, like they did on their Fw-190 kits.

How would you design an IM tool to produce those patterns? .. slidemolds? for wheels? that just does not work .. they could of course have added resin wheels.

How come? Tthey managed to do smooth and radial-threaded tires for the fw-190 kits:

Yesterday I looked the AM Avenger kit I have in my stash to see if it's wheels could be cannibalized for the hellcat (as it has both smooth and diamond-threaded wheels). I doubt they would be correct, but the point is that the second set of wheels sports a diamond thread pattern. To my knowledge, the kit doesn't boast any slidemolding or other gizmos. Sure, the pattern is nowhere as nice as on the best resin aftermarket items, but it's there anyhow.

I'll report here if I hear about the correct wheel issue. I posted a question on the FInnish IPMS forums today, I'll see if someone hanging around there knows these things.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hi Eetu

Well, I do not think convincing diamond or block pattern wheels can be made with IM tools that just close in one dimension. Those Fw wheels are easy to do that way and not necassary correct.

I do not want to argue about this. Do what you want. When you rather canibalize a kit for a mediocre replacement ... thats fine with me. The Ultracast wheels are very nice (I got my sets last week) and not too expensive.

Still there remains the problem what to use ....

all the best

Steffen
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 08:17 AM UTC
Sorry if I made it sound like arguing, as I wasn't.

I'm definately going to get those Ultracast wheels, I just brought up the avenger as it's wheels at least had some sort of diamond thread pattern in them. And I'm not going to cannibalize those (which are most probably far from correct type for Hellcats), I'm not in such a hurry to not order some AM wheels.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hi Eetu

I do not know if you asked at HS .. you did not forward the info. I just asked there and the late style "hubs" are post war:

Quoted Text

All Hellcats and Corsairs left the factory with the 'early' style wheel. The only way to know what airplane had what post-war is to look at a photo.

MP

soo .. all you need is early style .. still you have to decide what pattern (I like block and diamond best )

cheers

Steffen
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 10:16 AM UTC
I had it in mind to post a question at HS but somehow forgot.

Thanks for the info. Early style it is then. I think I'll go for the diamond threads.
 _GOTOTOP