Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Aichi Seiran
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 04:14 PM UTC
Hello. I changed my mind. I started to build Tamiya's 1/48 scale Aichi Seiran. I didn't go ballistic on the cockpit detail, just some photo-etch belts.So far this build is fitting like a dream. I'll keep you posted, thanks for looking, Wingman out.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 08:26 PM UTC
Hi Michael

Nice one! Another Frontpage build brewing! It's a great kit and one that we don't see built very often these days.

Are you going to build this one as part of a vignette?

All the best

Rowan
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 - 03:39 AM UTC
Thanks Rowan. The fuselage is together, the floats are together, the wings are attached as are the tailplanes. Might have to use a little Mr. Surfacer where the tailplanes meet up with the fuselage. I'll be able to leave the floats off for painting, as the fit there is wonderful. As far as a display. I might build Tamiya's 1/48 scale Rufe and put both of them on there dollies and have them sitting on a concrete tarmac. It will be about a week before an update, we are leaving for vacation Tuesday. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 05:01 AM UTC
Hello. Just a quick update. Just completed masking the clear parts with Bare Metal Foil. The fit of the windscreen and the canopy to the fuselage are wonderful. I will attach these parts after the painting is done. I will wipe down the aircraft with rubbing alcohol and let dry and then apply the ModelMaster Aluminum. The clear parts will get a shot of Aluminum as well.

Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 10:01 AM UTC
Hi Michael

Wow! Quick progress!

Do you fancy writing an illustrated "How-To" sometime on masking with foil? I've read about it, but never used it that way (I've got some stashed away somewhere...) and I'm sure it would prove a real help to plenty of people, especially in our Start Here section.

All the best

Rowan
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 03:39 PM UTC
Hi everyone. Merlin, so sorry for the long delay. Sports and wedding photography have taken priority. I'll try to get a start on a "how-to". I have a very quick update. I applied ModelMaster Aluminum to the entire aircraft and floats. The area for the ID bands were given a coat of white first, then the yellow will be applied. The 'line up" bands for the beaching dolly have been applied in white to the floats and the red prop warning lines have been applied. These areas will be masked pror to applying the green and grey. Once again, so sorry for the long delay, thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 04:27 AM UTC
Hi guys. A quick update. The grey has been applied to the underside of the floats and the plane. Yellow was applied for the ID bands to the leading edge of the wings and masked. I just applied the green to the tops of the floats and removed the paint with small bits of tacky masking tape. This is my first time doing this, I think it could look better. I removed the masking for the red and white stripes, didn't want to use the kit decals for those. Thanks for looknig, Wingman out.
Brigandine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dunedin, New Zealand
KitMaker: 553 posts
AeroScale: 86 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 11:35 AM UTC
Gidday Michael,
Looking good. Somewhere in my photo archives I have a photo of a wrecked Seiran, taken by Americans probably Atsugi A/B (?). This may be one of the prototypes/development aircraft because the lower surface of the float appears to be orange and there are orange patches on the floats and on the fuselage below where the pilot's canopy would be . There is also a deep yellow/orange square and a '2' painted under the leading edge of the tailplane, just behind the large "extra" hole in the rear fuselage.

The trickiest part of construction I've found are the two-piece flaps - if you should choose to show them lowered/extended they are a wee bit delicate. A small dab of epoxy helps to keep them fixed in place.

wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 05:34 AM UTC
Thanks for the photo Jeff. That would make a cool diorama. I didn't have any problems with the flaps yet, I did dry fit them and they seem to be O.K. Thanks for the tip. I got a good bit done on the dolly, this is a wonderful little kit itself. Most of what you see here is dry fit only. I used Tamiya's Hull Red for the on the base of the dolly, this went on very well. The tan parts are going to receive a coat of oil paint brushed on, I'm not sure what color I'll go with yet, this is supposed to be wood.The wheels fit very nicely. I just finished applying a Raw Umber wash to the entire plane which will receive some dullcoat. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 07:28 AM UTC
This is great! The attention to details in your builds is outstanding as usual Michael.

Hermon
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 10:26 AM UTC
Thanks Hermon. I just applied Burnt Sienna artist oil paint to the tan parts to simulate wood, I'm waiting for it to dry so I can apply a coat of dullcoat to tone it down a bit. This build is almost done, I'll post some updated photos soon, thanks for looking, Wingman out.
Removed by original poster on 12/26/08 - 20:19:25 (GMT).
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 08:24 AM UTC

Hello. Just about done with the dolly, I think I'll apply some dullcoat yet. The flaps,prop and pitot tube have to be attached yet and a minor touchup has to be done yet. I'll keep you posted,thanks for looking,Wingman out.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 04:59 PM UTC
Looks great WIngman. I have this kit as well as several other Japanese kits in my stash but I'm holding off building them until I can get this whole weathering thing down. I gotta say when it comes to these old Japanese planes you, Jean-Luc, and Fred have the patent on correct weathering. They just look real. Period.

Hermon
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 03:10 AM UTC
Hi Hermon.Thanks. I think that my paint chipping could look better. This was my first time using tape to pull off the green. When I went to put the plane onto the dolly it was a tight fit, I had to kind of work it in side to side until it sat on the supports. It won't have to be glued to the dolly itself. I wonder if anyone else had this happen. I have a few more things to do and then I'll set up some lights and take some better photos. The dolly is a great little kit itself. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 09:03 AM UTC
Hi. Just finished the build. This was a great little kit from Tamiya.It was built it out of the box. The Hinomarus were painted on using Tamiya masking tape. This was done because the kit decals split while removing them from their carrier film. I applied a Raw Umber oil wash to the entire plane. I think my paint chipping could look better. Thanks for following the build,Wingman out.

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think my paint chipping could look better

Well if you're really not happy with it send it to me. I'd be more than willing to tell people that I built it.
Great job Wingman, from start to finish.

Hermon
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 09:23 AM UTC
Thanks Hermon! Those are very kind words. Thanks for following the build. I just started the Dornier[Arrow] from Tamiya, their cannon version. Thank for looking, Wingman out.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 11:56 AM UTC
That's great news! I hope your going to do step by step photos of your Dornier the way you did for this Aichi Seiran. I have the Tamiya Dornier "heavily armed version" in my stash and I had planned on building it later on for the Luft. 46 campaign. I enjoy following along with all your builds but the Dornier would be great reference material for me, and probably quite a few others here.

Hermon
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:29 AM UTC
Very nice build, Wingman.

I understand what you mean by the chipping. It could look a little painted on a few places. However, as Hermon pointed out it is a very nice build nonetheless.

Thanks for sharing your very nice build!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:11 AM UTC
Second that. It is a very good looking build.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's great news! I hope your going to do step by step photos of your Dornier the way you did for this Aichi Seiran. I have the Tamiya Dornier "heavily armed version" in my stash and I had planned on building it later on for the Luft. 46 campaign. I enjoy following along with all your builds but the Dornier would be great reference material for me, and probably quite a few others here.

Hermon

Hi Hermon. I just started the Dornier 335[heavily armed version] For some great cockpit photos on the 335, go to, www.squadron13.com, I yahooed the Dornier and found this site. Thanks for following the builds, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 04:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice build, Wingman.

I understand what you mean by the chipping. It could look a little painted on a few places. However, as Hermon pointed out it is a very nice build nonetheless.

Thanks for sharing your very nice build!

Hi Jesper. Maybe I'll try the salt method next. Thanks for the nice comment, thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Second that. It is a very good looking build.

Thanks Carl. It was a fun kit to build, the fit was great, thanks for looking, Wingman out.
 _GOTOTOP