_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Ah-64 Apache
harrier1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 613 posts
AeroScale: 46 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 10:30 PM UTC
Hi everyone
I was wondering, does anyone make an Apache in 1/35 that could be used as a British one. I know of the Revell 1/32 one, how good is this and could it be used as a British Apache?
I really want to make a dio of when those Royal Marines strapped themselves to the wings of an Apache to rescue their wounded comrade:

Thanks, Nick
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 06:35 AM UTC
There is a 1/35 AH-64A and an AH-64D by Kangnam, however, they suck. The details are all wrong and the angles are off on them. If you want something that looks kind of like an Apache, they will do. If you want an accurate Apache, they are nowhere close.

The Revell 1/32 one is quite nice and an accurate A model from the late '80s. It can be updated w/the Verlinden set to a mid-'90s version. I believe you Brits use all D models, but I could be wrong. The scale difference between 1/35 and 1/32 is negligible. I mix them all the time w/no issues.
harrier1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 08:25 PM UTC
Hi Gino
Would the Verlinden update be correct for a modern british apache or not. If not how much else would have to be done to the Revell Apache with the Verlinden upgrade to make it correct for a modern British D model. Thanks, Nick
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 08:20 AM UTC
No, the Verlinden set will not make it a modern D model. Verliden's updates the details to make a better late '80s A model. The D is a very different airframe. The sponsons that run along the lower front fuselage are much bigger and shaped differently on a D model. The cockpit is also different, along w/the added radar dish on top of the mast. It could be done, but with a lot of work.

Good luck.
harrier1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 08:13 PM UTC
HI Gino
Ok, thanks for your help. How much work would have to be done on the kangam apache to make it a decent AH-64D, I've found a lot of Eduard etch sets for it... How would the work that would have to be done on the kangam one compare with the work that would have to be done on the verlinden one as I have not really done any scratch building before at all. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help, Nick
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 02:51 AM UTC
The Kangnam kit is just as bad, if not worse. It has improper angles on teh canopy and the angle on the spine coming down from the rotor head toward the tail is off. The sponsons are the wrong shape. The cockpit is wrong.

If you are just looking for a model that looks lika an AH-64, it will do. If you want it totally accurate, eother one will take a lot of work.

Sorry, but an accurate AH-64D is not out there and will take a lot of work to get in 1/35 or 1/32.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 02:52 AM UTC
The Kangnam kit is just as bad, if not worse. It has improper angles on the canopy and the angle on the spine coming down from the rotor head toward the tail is off. The sponsons are the wrong shape. The cockpit is wrong.

If you are just looking for a model that looks lika an AH-64D, it will do. If you want it totally accurate, either one will take a lot of work.

Sorry, but an accurate AH-64D is not out there and will take a lot of work to get in 1/35 or 1/32.
harrier1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 09:23 PM UTC
Hi Gino
Ok, thanks very much for your help. Guess I will have to think about 1/48 or wait and hope for someone to release an accurate 1/35 AH-64D!!!!! Nick
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 10:59 AM UTC
I have both the Revell and Kangam ( with Eduard Etch sets) kit in the stash, I didn't realise they were that bad so it looks like they might reside in the stash a little while longer then
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have both the Revell and Kangam ( with Eduard Etch sets) kit in the stash, I didn't realise they were that bad so it looks like they might reside in the stash a little while longer then

The Revell kit isn't bad at all. Its just not a modern D model as Harrier1 is looking for. It builds into a great late '80s A model straight out of the box. With the Verlinden set, it becomes a great mid-'90s A model. With some scratch-building of sensors, antenni, and a few other parts, it is a great modern A model.

Both Kangnam kits suck on accuracy.
CombatKrieg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 517 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 06:48 AM UTC
Currently doing the Academy Apache... And i must say there are some fitting issues present in the kit...
 _GOTOTOP