Hosted by Rowan Baylis
The 109 crashed and burned...
hworth18
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 03:37 PM UTC
Well, I posted the results of my first foray into the aircraft modeling scene and now there WON'T be any pics and if you are interested, I'll tell you the reason why:
First and most important reason: NEVER do your wash with everything fitted to the plane. After doing the wash and starting to remove it, I realized that you can't get around the antennae, pitot tube and landing gear without breaking them off..
So, in a fitting end to a bad kit, it's going to my stepson as flight simulator to be thrown away next year after everything else is broken off and it's in the bottom of the toybox..

On the PLUS side, I did learn very numerous lessons with my first kit and studied MAL's article thoroughly so I am ready for my Tamiya fw-190.. May it be a success
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 09:23 PM UTC
Bad luck, these things happen (but why don't they happen to someone more deserving?) We always learn from our mistakes but it can be an expensive lesson Better luck next time
mac
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 01:26 AM UTC
hworth18,
I'm not sure what kind of wash you used but did you try Q-tips for those tough to reach places?

..Kevin
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 07:40 AM UTC
:-) Ouch!
Better to learn on a cheaper kit than an expensive one. It's the sort of thing that becomes blindingly obviouse only after you make the mistake. My rule is "no dangly bits until painting and weathering are done" When I came back to the hobby, 20 years ago, my first kit was the Tamiya Pink Panther, SAS Land Rover. I blew it when I came to put the wash on, al a Verlinden. I hadn't put on a protective clear coat (I still have it).
There is no doubt that you will be a better modeller for it :-)
Which 190 are you planning on doing? I have just got decals for a D-9 :-)
Mal
hworth18
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 10:34 AM UTC
The Tamiya Fw-190A3 1/48 is the next one I plan to build in the paint scheme of Anton Hackl, Kdr. III/JG 11 for a friend of mine..
We'll see how this one goes........................... #:-)
BoarHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 03:11 AM UTC
I always say: "there is no such thing as a bad modeller ... its only a lack of tools". I dont think that you screwed up because of your lack of experience, mate! It's only because you dont have the tools to wash and clean those places without breaking stuff. While you are doin your first model you should try to use all your imagination to create new tools that might help you do that stuff more efficiently, We have all screwed up, everyone ... so dont put pressure on yourself, poo-poo happens.
I know how it feels like to spend so much time on a model, and make a major screw up all of the sudden.
Keep up the work ..

chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2003 - 02:23 PM UTC
Thats ok, every model in a newer subject is gonna suck. Honestly, I had the same problems. But I learned and look where I am. Building models for the President of the United States.

~Chip
tazz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 04:27 PM UTC
what i do is put the deacls and teh wash then i put the wheels and all that stuff on last
 _GOTOTOP