_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Tape for scribing panel lines
mac
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 01:33 AM UTC
Does anyone have a favorite tape brand they use when scribing panel lines? I can use a straight edge for flat surfaces but for curves, like a fuselage, I've been trying Tamiya masking tape. I like it because it's low tack, but it's too thin and my scribing tool often slides off and over the tape. Doubling it up doesn't seem to work much better. Anyone have any ideas or a better techinique for scribing?

TIA...Kevin
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 01:45 AM UTC
I use basic masking tape for my guide. As far as scribing - I'm a huge fan of light touch and lots of repetitions to get desired affect. So if I do loose my line there is either nothing to worry about or very little to worry about.
ukgeoff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 02:34 AM UTC
When I've had to scribe panel lines i've used Dymo? labelling tape ( the stuff for making embossed labels). It's flexible enough and thick enough to provide a good guide. The adhesive allows it to peel off cleanly and be reused a few times before it has to be replaced.
ArmouredSprue
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
AeroScale: 116 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 02:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When I've had to scribe panel lines i've used Dymo? labelling tape ( the stuff for making embossed labels). It's flexible enough and thick enough to provide a good guide. The adhesive allows it to peel off cleanly and be reused a few times before it has to be replaced.

Hello!
I use the same method here, different brand though!
Itīs better than using a scale ruler even on flat surfaces, cause it doesnīt slip to the side, and could be reused several times...
My advice is: go for it...
Cheers
jimbrae
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 03:46 AM UTC
I've just been pre-empted. I also use DYMO tape, it is truly the best there is for scribing, that and my squadron scriber....Jim
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 04:45 AM UTC
Does your model have raised panel lines? If so, use them as a guide before sanding them off (assuming they are correct). I've been using this method on the Dauntless I'm working on and it seems to work well.

As Slodder said-light touch and lots of repetition.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 07:57 AM UTC
:-) I use Dymo tape as well :-)
Mal
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 04:29 PM UTC
I use aluminium strips from an old Coke or Pepsi can. Cut carefully using a scissors, masking tape on one side, stick it on the plastic, and scribe away!

BP.
PS: Also have heard that some people use measuring tape(the type that rolls itself back into the container). This is made of flexible steel, which can be cut into strips and used..
 _GOTOTOP