_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
MH-60G or MH-60L
WOOTY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 65 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 08:17 PM UTC
Hello All
Well after a bit of a break i have decided to get back into things a bit more nowdays.
And what better ways to get going again, but with a MH-60 Hawk.
The only thing is that after a long research i found this walkaround and the author titles it a MH-60G, is shows a old nose type then the new nose type.
Here is the link

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/101-200/walk158_MH-60G/walk158.htm

Can someone help because i thought it would be that the "New Nose" would be a L model and the "Old Nose" would be a G model?
Thanks In Advance
Robert
sneakypete
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 149 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 08:06 AM UTC
Wooty,

If I am not mistaken the 'Old Style' nose is the only style used by the Air Force on the HH/MH-60 G. The newer style is the location for the Army and it looks to be the MH-60L. Both are color weather radar and its just a matter of where its positioned. So ultimately what it comes down to is what you want to build. An AF CSAR (Crash Search And Rescue) Bird or an Army SOAR (Special Operations Aviation Regiment) bird. Both are made in1/35 scale with lots of after market stuff available. HeavyArty and Mother both have great work in this field.

Just Google Images for MH-60G or MH-60 DAP to see the differences and some great pics. Good Luck.

-Dan
Avus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 302 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 07:10 PM UTC
Just to straight things out: Army never had and currently doesn't have "golf" version and similarly the Air Force never had and currently doesn't have "lima" version.

This being said both helos have a variety of possible configurations, in particular the MH-60G (or HH-60G depending on the mission) went through a lot of upgrades. The current version with all the "bells and whistles" makes it look very much like a MH-60L.

So if you're up to build a Pave Hawk (MH-60G) you can choose wheter to use the off set radar or the nose mounted one, whether to use the FLIR or not, whether to use plume detectors on the nose or on the gear extensions or don't use them at all etc...

As Dan suggested it's up to you what you want to build; just google to find what you like best (the Air Force site has a lot of pictures of the Pave Hawk).
WOOTY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 08:36 PM UTC
Thanks Guys
Dan, After building several L's i thought it would be different to build a G. But after seeing the pics i was on about i was a little confused. But i have made up my mind on a G model with FLIR and radar on the front of nose. Plume Detectors well hopefully Avus can answer this one for me?
Avus, dose the CC MH/HH-60G Update set have the plume detectors on the the gear extensions or would i have to scratch them?

Cheers Guys
Robert
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...dose the CC MH/HH-60G Update set have the plume detectors on the the gear extensions or would i have to scratch them?

Yes, the CC set does include these.

Now to muddy the waters some more...The latest upgrades have the plume detectors moved to on top of the nose, like in the Academy MH-60L DAP kit. The USAF MH/HH-60G fleet has gone through (and still is going through) many upgrades.

The latest version has the center nose-mounted weather radar, plume detectors on the nose, and a different antenna down the left fuselage as opposed to the Academy MH-60G kit, which is from about circa 1990. Since then, like I said above, many changes have occured. The latest ones are also in overall Gunship Gray (a.k.a AFSOC Gray) and have the external weapons mounts and ammo cans as well.

Further muddying...Depending on the aircraft, some helos have not gone through the rebuild process, or have only some of the modifications applied. So you will see many combinations out there.

The best bet is to find a picture of a helo you like and model it.
WOOTY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 10:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The best bet is to find a picture of a helo you like and model it.

Gino,
Thats about all i have left to do .
I think it will be a G model with FLIR, Plume detectors on gear extensions ( so obviously CC set ), IFRP, and Eduards MH-60G Interior and Exterior sets and also Eduards UH-1C Armament ( just for the Flex Chutes ), with added scratched items.
Base kit will be Academy's MH-60G with all the added details above, painted in Gunship Gray, decals to be thought of some more???
I will start a build thread when i get all of the required items and get started.
Thanks Guys
Robert
Avus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 02:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Plume Detectors well hopefully Avus can answer this one for me?
Avus, dose the CC MH/HH-60G Update set have the plume detectors on the the gear extensions or would i have to scratch them?

I won't need to reply since Gino did it for me!

I'm currently building a Pave Hawk for ARC's Helo GB, using Cobra's and Eduard's aftermarket parts and some scratchbuilt detail.
If you're interested here's the link:
Avus' 1/35 Pave Hawk
WOOTY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 07:28 AM UTC
Klause,
Nice progress mate looks great.
Did you ever get it finish, if so where can i see pics of her?
Cheers
Robert
Avus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 07:51 PM UTC
Thanks Robert!

Quoted Text

Did you ever get it finish, if so where can i see pics of her?

I'm still working on it and hope to have it done for Jan1st (the GB's end date).
You can follow the progress there if you want.
WOOTY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 08:14 AM UTC
No Worries,
Wlli follow it here then.
C'Ya
Robet
DonSS3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 91 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:45 AM UTC
I don't know if it will help or not, but here's some walkaround pics I took of an 56th Rescue Sqn HH-60G up in Keflavik Iceland in July of 1993.

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/DDonSS3/HH-60G%20Pave%20Hawk/

So, I guess this would qualify as the "old style" nose.

Removed by original poster on 10/02/08 - 18:50:11 (GMT).
sneakypete
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 07:51 AM UTC
These are from an Airshow at Tyndall AFB in 2005. Sorry about the resolution, was using a video camera to take the stills. Just a few closeups mostly of the gun. As you will note its mounting arm and ammo box are located just aft of the step fairing and above the drag beam (Lower diagnal strut). I hope they help with your build.
Dan

Sorry about the double post I was trying to upload the pics but I got it all wrong so here is the link to my Photobucket with pics of the aircraft.

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh114/rotordan/hh-60/
sneakypete
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 09:00 AM UTC
Here are some pics from a disassembled black hawk at work. I hope they help.

Dan

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh114/rotordan/hawk%20parts/
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello All
Well after a bit of a break i have decided to get back into things a bit more nowdays.
And what better ways to get going again, but with a MH-60 Hawk.
Can someone help because i thought it would be that the "New Nose" would be a L model and the "Old Nose" would be a G model?
Thanks In Advance
Robert

Robert:
As said previously the USAF & US ARMY helo's are not the same. The USAF fly the HH-60G and MH-60G, the HH is for search and rescue and the MH is for Special ops. Both with varied levels of Electronics fit. ESSS stubs or tanks, Nose radar in both types you referanced. The old style is a Navigation radar, while the new is Nav Flir & Dopplar. The EWR & missle suit is found on both locations depending on Mod cycle. The best choice is to pic one type of helo for pics. and build that one. Thus avoiding mixing equipement fitted to the helo.
As for US ARMY helos.......I have 12+ years in this area. The only Army unit to use
the sooped up Hawk is the 160th NightStalkers. The have and fly both the MH-60L DAP, with the later style nose. And the MH-60G with the late style nose. The left side cheek radar was origonally used for the USAF and the army didn't field this type. The 60G is used for night special ops and the 60L is for ground support as a gun ship. I 1/35 there are detail sets from Cobra and CMK for both types of Helo's.
There is a book on the Nightstalkers that shows the whole helo arsenal AH-6, MH-47, MH60........they only fly these 3.
There is also a book from KOKO FAN on the USAF versions of the Hawk.
Sqadron Signal also has a walkaround series that is packed with photos.

Hope this helps u out. Enjoy the build.
 _GOTOTOP