_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Looking for MIG-21bis aftermarket stuff...
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 08:51 AM UTC
Hi,

I was just wondering if there's any aftermarket out there suitable for Zvezda's 1:72 MiG-21bis?
Basically, the kit looks very nice, but there's some places that I feel could use some more details.
Eduard's masks are a must-buy for sure.

Pavla has some parts that would fit a MiG-21bis:
-lWheel and wheel well set
-KM-1 ejection seat

But that's about it. While the cockpit details in the kit are decent, some PE or even a complete resin replacement wouldn't hurt.
Does anyone know if some of the earlier type cockpit are anywhere near suitable for a bis-variant?
The windscreen part in the kit is of an early type, with round edges on the side windows' front edges. This windscreen type was present only on the first few aircraft purchased to Finland (yes, yet another Finnish aircraft project coming up! ), so a later type replacement would broaden the choice of aircrafts to build. (well, that's if I choose to care about the issue...)
While the kit's clear parts aren't bad (very clear, but a little thick), thinner replacements wouldn't be bad at all. Now there seems to be no canopies specifically for the Bis variant availalbe, but did some earlier variant use a same kind of canopy?
And then there would the question if the replacement actually fits this kit without drastic measures...

I then did some more searching and surprisingly, I couldn't any AM made for just this kit (yet). No PE sets made especially for this kit caught my eye.
While doing so, I stumbled upon this list of 1:72 scale MiG-21 stuff: http://www.72scale.com/aircraft/MiG/MiG-21.htm

The only PE set for a Bis-variant is by Eduard, but it doesn't appear to be available anymore, I can't even find it in the catalog on their site. I presume it's for the Eastern express (& the numerous reboxing that probably followed)? Has anyone experience of this set? What's in it, and what would be the chances it even fit this Zvezda kit, if I ever managed to get a hold of one?
Oh, I did manage to find a pic of the set, looks like it was for the Fujimi kit.

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

DonSS3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 91 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 03:23 AM UTC
I posted the Eduard MiG-21bis set on eBay the other day. Wish I'd have seen your post here first.

I don't know how well it will work on your Zvezda kit, but here's the link if you're interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=300265657598

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 04:16 AM UTC
About a week ago I ordered a bunch of stuff from Hannants, among them Pavla's cockpit set for KPs MiG-21MF, mainly because of the KM-1 seat and canopy that should be of the type with sharp front edges on the windscreen side windows (Zvezda's windscreen has rounded corners, present on only the first 2 a/c received by the Finnish airforce). But whether the canopy then fits the Zvezda fuselage, that's another story altogether...

Thanks for the heads-up on the PE set. I'll keep an eye on it in case that MF cockpit turns out to be unsuitable. That's a single-fret set, right?
How much would shipping cost to Finland?

DonSS3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 91 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 01:45 AM UTC
Eetu,
Yes, it is the single-fret set. I'm not sure of postage from the US to Finland. I'll have to get back to you on that.

_GOTOTOP