Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Storch pilots
NMK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alvsborgs, Sweden
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 10:55 AM UTC
Hello guys, this is my first post here, so bear with me ;-)

My question is; what type of gear/uniform did the pilot wear when operating the Fi 156...?

Thanks for any help,
Kristoffer
Bren
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cape Province, South Africa
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 01:03 AM UTC
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Got me!
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 04:42 AM UTC
I would have to say that it would depend on the theater. In N. Africa it would probably be something light, maybe shorts, shoes and a sidearm. Russia, especially in the winter, warm clothes, boots, sidearm, and maybe something to eat incase you were shot down.

Thats what I think!

~Chip :-)

Glad to have ya aboard!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 06:07 AM UTC
First of all Hi Kristoffer, welcome to this wonderful site
I'm afraid I don't know of any specifics of uniforms worn by pilots of the Storch, but probably nothing different from any other luftwaffe pilot :-) the variations, as Chip says, where for the theatre of operations :-)
Mal
NMK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alvsborgs, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 08:18 AM UTC
Hello guys, thanks for your help...
I forgot to mention why I was asking this question;
I have the Hasegawa Storch kit, 1/32, and the pilot figure is wearing a plain uniform, so I figured maybe the Storch pilots were dressed like the ground crew or something like that...
I'm replacing the figure, so I guess I needed to know what to choose.

Regards,
Kristoffer
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 05:13 AM UTC
:-) Kristoffer,
Will you be able to post in progress pics?
I want a 1/48 Storch for my collection, I believe that there has been one on the market but I've never seen it. Do you have plenty of references? If there are any from the internet could you provide some links? :-)
Mal
ukgeoff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 06:33 AM UTC
Your right Mal, there was a 1/48 Storch but it has not been available for many years. It was made by ESCI in two versions, the usual Fi-156 and a post-war radial engined Moraine-Saulnier MS 502 Criquet . I have one of each in my collection. Unfortunately, ESCI's designers/pattern makers must have had too much vino with they lunchtime spaghetti when the did it, as it has a major problem with the lower fuselage section. Instead of it forming a shallow vee below where the main wing struts join, they have gone straight down and made the bottom surface flat! I guess it could be corrected, but I'm to much of a coward to risk it on such a scarce kit.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 07:05 AM UTC
:-) Thanks Geoff,
Sounds like a fairly simple problem to sort out? If I had the kit I wouldn't worry about how scarce it was, I would build it :-) I suppose for scarce read expensive I would still build it though. Just have to keep my eyes open, someone might have one and not know how rare it is :-)
Mal
NMK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alvsborgs, Sweden
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 10:41 AM UTC
Hello again...
I have two books about the Storch from Militaria coming in the next few days from Jadar, and the only other book I have on the subject is "Warplanes of the Luftwaffe", Barnes and Noble, but it's very hard to get info on the internet.
But here's a link or two: http://www.hotel.wineasy.se/ipms/stuff_eng_detail_fi156.htm
http://www.donblech.de/storch/storch_e.htm
http://fi156storch.8m.net/FI156.htm

I will definitly provide some progress photos of my Storch, it will be the first "serious" plane, I'm mostly in the Panzerland otherwise ;-)

Regards,
Kristoffer
 _GOTOTOP