_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Bf 109 A 1/48 Classic Airframes
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hi all

I thought that I already had started a post on this build a loong time ago .. still I cannot find it so I probably did not.

As you might assume I started this project some time ago .. I thinned the wings and installed the wheel bays and glued in some cockpit parts and sprayed the thing RLM 02.

Today while waiting for stuff to dry I pulled this kit from the stack to proceed a bit with the cockpit ... which is my least favorite part of building a kit. Some detail painting and a wash (still wet in this pic) and it looks a little better.

updates will follow as time permits ... this is just a model for inbetween projects ...

cheers

Steffen
P.S.: this will come handy: Review by Vance
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 12:29 PM UTC
Hi Steffen,
I'll follow this as I'm painting my 109d at the moment. an really like the look
of early marks of any types.

Your opinion on colour on tamiya paints for the 109d if I may.
xf22 1:1 xf2 upper side
xf14 2:1 xf2 lower side

XF22 looked way too dark compared to the photos. Still looks a little on the dark side.

Feel good to be clearing the stash? You've been very active recently. keep it up
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 01:18 PM UTC
A very nice project Steffen. I´m going to follow it
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 04:39 PM UTC
Nice cockpit Steffen. Have you decided on a particular aircraft? My vote is not to put this one away. I love 109s
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 06:40 PM UTC
Hi all

Many thanks for your comments, but again this is just for the time when I am idle in my other 2 projects.

@JP: I am no expert at early type colours. The machine I build (6o10 of Günther Lützow) was obviously silver/NMF with a clear sealing layer. There are two types of early colours IIRC both RLM 63 (but better check refs) one is similar to RLM 02 and the other is greenish. I think Lynn Ritger went into some detail on that in the SAMI Datafile vol.1. I find XF 22 not too bad, but in general my preferred colours are JPS, Gunze and Vallejo (I do not like vallejo RLM 74 which is blue and not green)

@Taylor ..see above; Günther Lützows 6o10

I fought closing the fuselage yesterday .. the dash did not want to fit at all .. bent the PE part several times .. doh. When it gets brighter outside I will have another look (7:40 local now)

all the best

Steffen
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 05:23 AM UTC
I love these Classic Airframes 109's, in fact i'd even go as far to say that they are my favourite model kits so far. The problem is finding them, they sold very fast. Luckily i found another 109D in a local hobby store a few months ago.

But i really want to do a silver or NMF 109 sometime, so i'm hoping to find one of the CA 109A's ad well.

As for RLM colours, i don't even bother with all that too much- i've seen some modelers almost come to a bit of "biffo" over that subject at a model show once! I just use the Gunze range, they always produce a pretty good overall look as far as i'm concerned. I especially like the Gunze version of RLM02.

Andrew
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 07:16 AM UTC
Hi Andrew

I hate CA kits ... praised like there is no tomorrow and most are a dog of a kit .. but they do stuff nobody else does .. so there is little choice. To be fair the Bf 109 is the best kit so far.

As for Gunze: I like them too. and I also think the RLM 02 is very nice.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 11:55 PM UTC
Hello Gang

as I wrote the last time, I closed up the pit and joined the fuselage halfs. It was a fight to get it together (surely my fault with the instrument panel) the gap in front of the panel needed some force and sanding .. of course I lost material which I first molded on with Tamiya Light curing filler. As it turned out it was not quite enough. I glued on the hood with 2part epoxy and filled the seams with Magic Sculp™ which I also used to bolster up the panel in front of the canopy.

Though I tried hard the pit did not sit perfectly on the rear. luckily the luggage hatch is also included as PE part, so I gave the area a good layer of Sqn White Putty. All is set aside now to cure (that is an advantage of doing several projects parallel, as I now just pull one of the other models from the stack)

as always: comments welcome! ... especially if you spot a mistake!!!

all the best

Steffen

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 05:20 AM UTC
Hi gang

another of my old projects .. but somehow many of them get finished one or another way respectively sooner or later.

The discussion about the right interior colour in another thread made me want to do some more 109 stuff and I pulled this from the stack and worked a little on it. I glued on the wing and filled the resulting gaps and steps with putty.
Then I further completed the nose area. The fit is mediocre .. well, it is a CA kit ...

Finally I sanded the puttied area behind the seat, installed the PE hatch and airbrushed it RLM 02:

comments welcome

all the best

Steffen
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 08:37 PM UTC
Hi Steffen, i'm interested to see how your canopy parts fit. What i found when doing the 109D was that the front and rear parts fit perfectly, but the centre canopy part was too long, so that it couldn't really fit in the closed position. Sanding down both ends enough would have resulted in almost no canopy frames left!

Usually i never put kit parts against a plan, but this time i did because i wanted to see where the problem was. I used the plans in Lyn Ritgers book. It showed that the canopy was correct, it is the cockpit that is slightly too short! Having the canopy open disguises it.

Regardless of that little problem, and your overall dislike of CA kits, these early 109's are still my favourite models. I wish Eduard started with the Jumo versions for their 1/32 models.

Andrew
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 08:55 PM UTC
Thank you for your input, Andrew!

I will check the canopy next week (I am off to a trip home later today) .. might be the sanding in the front and rear cockpit opening already gave me a few scale mm to clear the center section ...

I agree that this is one of the better (if not the best) Classic Airframes kits. And luckily the airframe is pretty simple

all the best

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 11:23 PM UTC
Looks good, Steffen. Nice to see one of the early Bf 109 take form. This is one I lack in my collection, but I will wait for a "mainstream" ausf. A.

Looking forward to see more
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 08:15 AM UTC
Nice one Steffen

I'm always impressed how you manage to re-focus (or keep your original focus) on projects like this. (I wish I could do the same... )

Lookin forward to seeing it finished.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 09:10 AM UTC
Thank you Jesper and Rowan

Well, i do not see this finished very soon, but sometimes it is nice to just pull a box from the stack and fondle the parts .. and sometimes it is :"hey it is already started" so I move on with the project. And sometimes I do not like to paint the pit or apply the decals or filling and sanding ... you name it ... an then it is good to have some projects that are in a phase that I do like to do at that time.

Sometimes I envy modelers like Jean-Luc who can focus on just one project ... OTOH I find that kind of dogmatic

Maybe I will do some stuff later this week ... painting my Fw 190s or sanding this Bf 109 or painting cockpits of one of my gazillion projects .. I now also have my Fw 200 here

all the best

Steffen
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 04:21 AM UTC
Interesting build so far Steffen . I have not yet not build a CA kit before so I will be watching this build . I would have to agree with the rest of the guy's though , it's nice to see the early 109's and not always the 3 and 4 models .
 _GOTOTOP