_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Primer for Alclad
TOONCES
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 08:51 AM UTC
I'm building a Mig-19 and want to use either Alclad aluminum or Vallejo acrylic aluminum for fuselage. I have found many suggestions for a primer but not sure which one to use. Can anyone help especially which primers not to use.

john
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 08:11 PM UTC
Hi John

Nigel Julian (Lampie) wrote us a very helpful article - Alclad Adventures - that gives some excellent advice.

I must admit I've never tried the Vallejo paint, but I'd imagine a smooth black enamel undercoat would work to give the acrylic something to "bite into" for a more robust finish.

All the best

Rowan
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 10:58 PM UTC
Hi John and welcome to Aeroscale,

If I'm using Alcald standard colours (not the Polished ones) I normally use Halford's (a car supply chain here in the UK) grey primer. One it has dried I give it a quick once over with my 12000 grit micromesh sanding pad and then spray the Alclad in several light coats at a low pressure.

Hope this Helps

Cheers

Allen
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 04:02 AM UTC
Hi John

I've just used Alclad for the first time and prepared the surface exactly as Allen suggests and it has worked fine.
I only did it this way as it is the technique I use for other finishes and I figured if it works for enamels and acrylics why not laquers!

Cheers

Steve
Bribo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 - 06:28 AM UTC
Regular grey primer or Mr Surfacer 1200 is ok for any of the colors but Chrome or Polished Aluminum. These two need to go over a gloss black surface. One that works well is regular Krylon Gloss Black in the rattle can, as recommended by Matt Swan from Swanny's Models. Just decant from the can to a jar, and airbrush it straight on, you don't need to thin anymore than it already is.

Good Luck
HeyLoad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 - 12:39 PM UTC
John,
I used Alclad for the first time a few months ago. I followed the instructions in Nigel's article as Rowan mentioned and had no problems.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP