_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
P-51D
Veliki
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Saone-et-Loire, France
KitMaker: 75 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 09:20 PM UTC
Hello,
This little topic appears in the photos gallery, but it's apparently the wrong place.
1/72 scale, Tamiya, 20th FG colors/markings (with oliv drab upper surfaces), most of them airbrushed for a very weathered airplane. Prop without yellow tips. 1945, Belgium.
Cheers,
AE

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 01:17 AM UTC
Bonjour Nuno,

This is a great looking P-51D. We don't see often Mustangs with such a heavy weathering and I like it very much. Tell us more about how you did to paint the model. Are the D-Day stripes decals?

I'mp not sure to understand what you mean by "This little topic appears in the photos gallery, but it's apparently the wrong place."

Anyway, thanks for sharing your work with us...

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 01:23 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

that means they are in the Avatar gallery .. I am struggling myself to find a way to post some photos to my galleries. Seems impossible at the moment.

@Nuno

I agree with J-L very nice flying wreck!!

cheers

Steffen
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 03:42 AM UTC
!/72? Really??? Fantastic work- cheers!

chuk
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 02:28 PM UTC
Nuno:
Beautiful P51. If you get a chance I would love to hear more on how you did the weathering
Veliki
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Saone-et-Loire, France
KitMaker: 75 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 08:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bonjour Nuno,

This is a great looking P-51D. We don't see often Mustangs with such a heavy weathering and I like it very much. Tell us more about how you did to paint the model. Are the D-Day stripes decals?

I'mp not sure to understand what you mean by "This little topic appears in the photos gallery, but it's apparently the wrong place."

Anyway, thanks for sharing your work with us...

Hello Jean Luc,
I meant that the kit is in another gallerie and that I made a mistake when i tried to share that topic for the first time. *=
Anyway, the P-51 is almost completly airbrushed, except stars and letters. I think that sometimes masking work makes the final look better.
Natural meta finish is made with the old Model Master range, by mixing different shades.
The oliv drab coat is weathered by rubber tapping before being completly dry, over a well polished aluminium coat, and finished with a neddle, or something similar, sharp enough to achieve the smalest scratchs.
Final weathering process, with inks, and oil washes, as long as I remenber !!!
Cheers,

Jean-Luc

:-
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2008 - 10:53 AM UTC

Salut Nuno ....un vrai chef d'oeuvre ...fantastic convincing finish

... If you do build any more P-51s do check out the two volumes of 'Aces & Wingmen' (Danny Morris) for pics of operational machines - there are getting on for 1200 of em in these two books! P-51s had very light exhaust hues as they generally ran leaner than German aero engines ..your OD chipping is excellently rendered ....perhaps a little too 'artistic' for my tastes.....
 _GOTOTOP