_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Trumpeter 1/35 Chinook
docdios
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 05:21 AM UTC
Hi all

As part of the display for IPMS kitmaker UK (The Bulldogs) I decided to build a 1/35 Chinook, and as this is for Scale model world in November, have actually made a start to it. The model is a little further on than show but i will try and update this blog over the next few days to catch up

The cabin is made up from the Original Trumpeter kit, the trumpeter aircrew kit (which had another cabin as part of the kit), Cobra Models bits and Eduard Photo etch. All in all quite a bit of fiddling around when you will be unable to see most of it once done. I have added some cables and pipe work but it is minimal, it just need the crew and some detail picking out to be ready.

So to start with the cabin (crew are being painted )

thanks for looking

cheers

Keith Forsyth
seb43
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 06:26 AM UTC
Great Keith
To see such 1/35 chopper, Are you going to mix with any 1/35 AFV ??
Or in a dio
Cheers
Seb
cheese
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 09:46 AM UTC
I've always wanted to build this kit but was too iffy about the price and detail. Its good to see someone finally give it a shot. I really havent looked within the forum but I think you are the first. I am going to keep an eye on this one. It looks great so far. Keep it coming!

Oh, by the way.....very, very clean so far....You are da man.

Cheers,
Mike
harrier1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 613 posts
AeroScale: 46 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:33 AM UTC
Hi Keith
Its looking good so far, cant wait to see more. Is this the A or D variant? Keep it coming!! Nick
CombatKrieg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 517 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 - 04:27 AM UTC
Looking good Keith...
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 - 07:00 AM UTC
Coming along great Keith, looking real sharp. I assume it’s the D’ model being that the cockpit is black. Love the hydraulic line for the rudder pedals. Hope the gage works out…

Happy Modeling,
Joe
docdios
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 - 07:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Coming along great Keith, looking real sharp. I assume it’s the D’ model being that the cockpit is black. Love the hydraulic line for the rudder pedals. Hope the gage works out…

Happy Modeling,
Joe

Thanks for the info Joe

I managed to pick up a plastic version of the gage that went a long way in helping create the rear bits, it took me half the day to remove all the old moulding from the back .

I just have to wire it up then i will take some pictures.

It is in deed the D I am working on, and all that effort in the cab will be virtually hidden by the nose once done.

I have to remove the window behind the cab so I can fit the armament in, then sort out the seats then hopefully I can paint it all up and close it together.

I didn't realise how much work would be involved with this kit, to build it up to my standard I know i should have just built it out of the box, but I can't help tinkering

I Just need a different paint scheme other than green, just to help it stand out

will post some more pictures soon

cheers

keith
docdios
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 08:54 AM UTC
Ok

I have gone that bit further, in fact i have reached the mile stone of having both halves together

so a few more pictures

work starts at the rear section

the rear halves painted

a close up of the rear loading ramp detail

the crew done

the interior rear cargo section done with seats

and fitted into the sides with the crew

and finally the two halves together

so just the outside and rotors to do now plus all the decals

cheers

Keith
Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 09:02 PM UTC
The interiour, especially the rear section, looks brilliant. Great job and looking forward to seeing more of it
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 09:58 PM UTC
Very nice!
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 12:58 AM UTC
Looking great. Good job on the interior. Its probably too late now, but there should be legs on the seats about every 3 seatbacks. There should also be diagonal support legs between them as well. Are the seats from Eduard, or did you scratch them? They look pretty good. It also looks like the Trumpeter crew figures don't fit well in the cockpit. Their feet are way back from the pedels. Good job so far. I'm looking forward to seeing this big beauty done.
docdios
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 03:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking great. Good job on the interior. Its probably too late now, but there should be legs on the seats about every 3 seatbacks. There should also be diagonal support legs between them as well. Are the seats from Eduard, or did you scratch them? They look pretty good. It also looks like the Trumpeter crew figures don't fit well in the cockpit. Their feet are way back from the pedels. Good job so far. I'm looking forward to seeing this big beauty done.

Hi Gino

I had plans originally to do the seats with all the support legs, but was unsure how to mate it all together on the model, in the end i took the shot cut of having just one length of brass rod so all the seats sit in a row and in the same place.(i nearly didn't put them in at all)

The figures don't sit to well at all, but then i have had to reset the dashboard back further so the nose of the helicopter will fit correctly. Luckily you cart see all of the cockpit once the nose is on

cheers

Keith
seb43
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 03:53 AM UTC
Look Realy good Keith and the job on the piping and wiring on the rear section give a better look to the model
Cheers
Seb
18Bravo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 11:44 AM UTC
That's looking very nice. Your port and starboard fuse panels look to be placards of some sort. Did you make those yourself? They're also more correct than the ones supplied in the kit.
As for the figures not reaching the pedals, it MAY be the location of the seats.
I have some MH-47 cockpit photos that show the seats' backs farther forward in relation to the center console than in the kit. I'll have to check and see whether the MH-47center console is the same length as for the CH-47. If so, it's a matter of reorienting the seats.
docdios
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's looking very nice. Your port and starboard fuse panels look to be placards of some sort. Did you make those yourself? They're also more correct than the ones supplied in the kit.
As for the figures not reaching the pedals, it MAY be the location of the seats.
I have some MH-47 cockpit photos that show the seats' backs farther forward in relation to the center console than in the kit. I'll have to check and see whether the MH-47center console is the same length as for the CH-47. If so, it's a matter of reorienting the seats.

The fuse panels are pre-painted items from the Eduard P/e set, as is the console. as I have said I ma not overly concerned with the feet not fitting as once the nose is on you can hardly see them any way

cheers

Keith
18Bravo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 07:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... as I have said I ma not overly concerned with the feet not fitting as once the nose is on you can hardly see them any way

cheers

Keith

Understand on the feet thing. More concerned about the seat location relative to the center console. Any plans for an anchor line cable?

docdios
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Any plans for an anchor line cable?

sorry you will have to excuse my ignorance but what is a anchor line cable? and where does it go

keith
18Bravo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 11:12 AM UTC
It's for static line jumping. It does not have to be an MH47 to have one - many CH47s (in fact 90% of the ones I've seen) are so equipped. Runs from the port side of the cabin in front to the starboard side in the rear.
docdios
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 05:41 AM UTC
ok thanks for that, I wont be fitting one now as i have the two halves together so its a bit late.

although i have had a major disaster today with the rear wheel assemblies , the white metal is so weak when you try to insert them into the kit it just breaks up absolute rubbish. I may post some pictures later but feeling a little fed up now.

so close yet so far with this build as it has to be ready for next weekend.

cheers

keith
Avus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 302 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 07:44 PM UTC
Outstanding work and at what pace!

Sorry to hear about the wheels. Some times a night does cool down hot spirits.
Strange, usually white metal (at least the one used for figures) only breaks if bent a few times.
18Bravo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 02:54 PM UTC
That really is a great job on the internal fuselage braces. Unfortunately Trumpeter should have added separate quilted panels instead of engraving them directly to the fuselage walls. They hide all of those braces forward of the ramp area. But this photo (admittedly from an MH47) shows how nice your work in the ramp area is:

__dmh__
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2008 - 01:07 AM UTC
Saw this at Telford yesterday (I think!), it certainly looked like it, and was on the appropriate stand. It looks amazing in the 'flesh' I had to crane my neck (and told my friends to do the same) to have a look inside but it was worth it, you've done a brilliant job mate.
Boggie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:44 AM UTC
Kieth
Any chance you could share photos of your finished build?
Thanks
Bill
Tazman3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 02:37 AM UTC
Hey Keith...nice looking kit. I was going to ask about the support structure in the rear of the helo...they all look bent up and such where the conduit is passing through, I was curious if this is how a lot of very "used" helo rears look in real life, or if that was just a product of some "not so great" parts.

Also, I like the cockpit area very much, and I would agree that the figures look a little off, but they are ok. One thing that would concern ME though...is how pissed off they look...
sarge450
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:36 AM UTC
Great work on the interior, looking forward to more progress.
 _GOTOTOP