_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Can decals be recoloured with paint?
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 - 05:54 PM UTC
Help again please,
I'm curious
As a bit of fun and a prelude to the P- 47 GB(note to self...enroll) I 'm building the Academy P47 Razorback as a NMF bird Turtle #9.
I can make the tail code from bits left over but in Various colours yellow,white etc.
Could I cut each number out apply a thin coat of black over the top and then apply to aircraft as usual?
Or any other ideas??
TIA

Chris
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 - 10:12 PM UTC
I suspect if the paint were thin enough not to tear the decal, it might let the underlying colour show through. You could try ink instead, or repainting the deals after applying them.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 - 10:51 PM UTC
I have painted yellow over white serials once before with limited success. The only tips I would give is keep your paint thin and try and keep it within the serial number/decal.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Allen
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 11:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Help again please,
I'm curious
As a bit of fun and a prelude to the P- 47 GB(note to self...enroll) I 'm building the Academy P47 Razorback as a NMF bird Turtle #9.
I can make the tail code from bits left over but in Various colours yellow,white etc.
Could I cut each number out apply a thin coat of black over the top and then apply to aircraft as usual?
Or any other ideas??
TIA

Chris

Hi Chris
This is the bird I posted photos of in the SIG thread for you?
Do you have a decal sheet for the artwork and if so does it include the serial number?
I would suggest buying a decal sheet of numbers and using that for the serial number . Try Hannants
Nige
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 01:07 PM UTC
Hi Nige,
Yip is the one you posted a couple of photo of a while back,this was a bit of an impulse buy on Thursday,
I don't have a decal sheet for Turtle No9.
My plan is to hand paint the nose art.
The fuselage codes,I can cobble together from various left overs,they are the right style colour etc
It just the tail codes I'm having trouble.
I may just end doing as you suggested buying a set of letters/numbers and going from there.

As the weather at the moment is good,I'm hoping to take a few snaps,one I get a few sub-assemblies completed.

Regards

Chris
 _GOTOTOP