Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 10:07 AM UTC
This is the first half of my entry for our club theme (IPMS-UK Kitmaker) for the Scale Modelworld show held at Telford England in November. The theme is "Poles apart", each member is building a model of what they normally build (me aircraft) and something of what they don't normally build, so that isn't for mention here.
The kit is the Revell boxing of Hasegawa's Fw 190D-9 finished as black 6, a late "D". It is built out of the box except for:
1. MDC cockpit.
2. Stainless steel wing route cannon barrels ("blued"ish).
3. Pipe work to drop tank replaced with brass and copper wire.
4. Rudder cut and replaced off centre.
5. Under fuselage antenna (fug?) replaced with an old drill shaft.
Additions:
1. Brake lines from brass wire and stretched wire insulation.
2. Landing gear down indicators from flattened brass wire.
3. Antenna wire from 0.2mm annealed stainless wire.

The markings, including the wing walk ways and the serial number on the fin were masked and painted, all other stencils etc were from the kit decals.

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 11:22 AM UTC
Hi Mal!

Fantastic job! And a perfect advertisement for your Miracle masks.

May I suggest you to send me some more pictures for a feature? And you could write a "how to use Miracle Masks" to go with them...

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 06:00 AM UTC
Thanks Jean-Luc.
Yes I intend to write a an article on using the masks but I am really tied up. I have another model to build to go with this for the Kitmaker club stand at Telford, which I only started today. I also have 4 more aircraft models which I'm building to show off the masks on the trade stand which I have at Telford this year. Not only that but I still have Masks to produce so things are really hectic at the moment. However I will try and get some decent pics to send in and I'll write an article when I can fit it in.
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 04:10 PM UTC
Mal:
Another beautiful build. I would love to see the feature. Good luck at Telford

Taylor
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 07:36 PM UTC
Hi Mal

Lovely job! And, as Jean-Luc says, a fantastic example of how effect your masks can be. The wing-walks are fantastic and avoid the problem with decals of having carrier film running right along the flap hinge-line etc.. Can you do them in smaller scales too?

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2008 - 08:38 AM UTC
Thanks Taylor, I will write the feature, I do have pics from start to finish I actually tried to cancel my trade stand at Telford but they wouldn't give me my money back so I said that I would have it anyway. I actually can't afford the time to prepare for it butas I'm having it I'm trying. If all goes well I'll have a few more neat models built using my masks. I wont say more until I have all 4 (5?) painted, I have until the 13th November, so wish me luck.

Thanks Rowan, yes the wing walks are a god send, they are much better than decals. In fact this type of late war Luftwaffe scheme is an ideal subject for a first try at masking for painted markings, as are most japanese subjects. At the moment I think that 1/32 is the smallest that I can go with the wing walk markings, but I have made a discovery that may enable me to go down to 1/48, I'll let you know
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 01:13 AM UTC
Great build! If you make masks for 1/48 german subjects let us know. I would be interested.

Good luck with the stand and the next models
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 07:51 AM UTC
That's pretty snappy, Mal! The wing walks are rather nice, but I can only imagine how tough that's be in 1/48! Love the paint work- and best of luck at Telford- and in your big move-

chuk
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 07:54 AM UTC
Jesper,
I do produce masks for Luftwaffe subjects in 1/48 scale, one of the subjects for my trade stand is a 190A, if all goes well. At the moment I'm not able to produce the dashed wing walk way markings in 1/48 but I have made a discovery which may allow me to do so. I have recently, Sunday last, produced Italian roundels with the Fascas(spelling). Actually I can try anything, drawing stuff ain't the big problem, working out how to produce a mask is. Think about the Italian roundel with the 3 Fascio, white background with black Fascio and border. It aint as easy as you might think, but I have the answer and My masks come with comprehensive instructions for each type. Sorry didn't mean to start sounding my own trumpet

Chuk,
Thank you, but not quite what you have acheived with your Helldiver.

Jean-Luc, I found time to take some better(?) photos last night, if they are I'll send them in at the week end, between visits to the spray booth
 _GOTOTOP