_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Making windows
harrier1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 613 posts
AeroScale: 46 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 11:06 AM UTC
Hi everyone
I am currently working on the Airfix Nimrod. Having glued together the fuselage and wings I managed to push one of the dome shaped windows out accidentally. It is now inside the fuselage and try as I may I can not get it to come back into its hole and glue back into place. Therefore I was wondering, does anyone have any tips on making a dome shaped window from Humbrol ClearFix (Its like the microscale (??)version, I can make a flat window but cant get a dome shape to work). Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers, Nick

PS, hope this actually makes sense!!!
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 12:14 PM UTC
Not sure of the exact part of a nimrod you've lost but

you could try to pull mould one out of clear plastic sheet. Such as a blister pack. Make a dome shape of the right size. Heat the sheet and pull it over the mould. Lots of howtos on the net for this. if it is really small try sanding and polishing some clear sprue or at worst have a gloss black dome.
harrier1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 613 posts
AeroScale: 46 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:08 PM UTC
Hi jaypee
Thanks for the tip. The piece I've lost is the first window after the nose art in this picture (not my nimrod)

Cheers, Nick
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 11:04 PM UTC
Yeah stretch some clear sheet over a suitable sized dowel rounded at the end. Easy as there is no frame to mark or anything like that. If you are happy with one, Make 2 the same and poke out the other window so both sides are the same.
No that is AMS kicking in.
 _GOTOTOP