_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Thicken Acrylics?
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 02:54 AM UTC
Hi all -

I just started on my P-35 and checked out the cockpit in Donald Nijboer's book, "Cockpit". The stick is a kind of a dirty white/grey with patches of green oxide showing through.

Thought this would be easy but found out that my white paint is waaay too thin. It's Model Master Acrylic and is about the consistency of water. It's a new, unopened jar. I checked to see if it had separated and found that it was the same from top to bottom.

How can I thicken this stuff up so it at least sticks a little bit?

Steve
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 07:54 AM UTC
Hi Steve

You say it's an unopened jar of paint - are you absolutely sure it's thoroughly stirred? Paint can settle when it's sat on the shelf in the LHS for a while.

If the paint still needs thickening, Liquitex thickening gel or a similar product might do the trick, but I must admit I've never tried it.

All the best

Rowan
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 09:26 PM UTC
Thanks Rowan - The first thing I did wascheck to see if it had separated. It hadn't. I think I just got a bottle that slipped through quality control.

There's a place nearby that sells that thickener you mentioned. The hobby shop is closer however, so I guess I'll just get another bottle of paint.

Is there a law that says whenever your about to start a new project, there's always some little thing that goes wrong?

Steve
 _GOTOTOP