_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1/32 Roden GB 2008 Alb. D.III - Steve
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 478 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 - 07:19 AM UTC
I might as well start my blog on the "On Deck" Abbie build. I'm still in the process of building my Roden SE5a but while waiting for the oil paint to dry this one was calling me. I've been drawn by the wood "Krate" and wanted to do one. So here is my start.

I made my start inside with the wood. I HATED it..........so scraped it all off.

I'm a bit more pleased with this woodgrain effect inside. I tried to show the different panels. If i don't like it, it will be easy to just "blend away".

Regards
Steve
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 12:28 PM UTC
I appreciate Stephen having the faith in me that I MIGHT actually meet the deadline with this build. I'm still committed to the SE5a that I'm working on. This has just given me something to do while waiting for the paint to dry. The engine will be next. Already have the valve springs done.

I do have decals for the exterior wood, but i think it shall be paint.....simulated wood. Starting out as just a "generic" Abbie as i don't have a pilot selected yet. Whoever it is will have a mostly wood fuselage and the non-lozenge camo scheme.

Regards
Steve

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 12:52 PM UTC
No worries Steve. Model On!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 01:14 PM UTC
Nice start so far , will you be needing any beer cans ? Lars can sent you some !

There is no limit to the amount of markings for this aircraft . Not sure on how many D.III used Lozenge , but from what I have read so far is that they used 3 tone or 2 tone camo .
However , it would be neet to see one done with lozenge and a stripe fuselage !

Cheers !
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:08 PM UTC
Beer cans for the Abbie? Not sure but Larsa can send some anyway........FULL......... Always welcome. I haven't been "studying" all that i will do for this kit. I know that I will open the top cowling of the engine up. I really am still working on the SE5............The leather seats and oil paint keep holding me up requiring long waits...soooooooooooo I dipped into the Abbie box. This kit really looks good. Yes and a 2 or 3 tine camo is what I have planned. Got another canidate for the Lozenge in mind.

Anymore long paint waits and I'll do the engine.

Regards
Steve
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 01:48 AM UTC
Here is a better?? shot of the interior wood grain.

Regards
Steve
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 02:11 AM UTC
Steve, I like the panels showing a little difference in tone. Well done.
RAGIII
Kalt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 222 posts
AeroScale: 219 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 02:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve, I like the panels showing a little difference in tone. Well done.
RAGIII

I fully agree, nice start Steve:-H
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 03:48 AM UTC
“Nothing compares to you”,

Just another one from your bench and Stephen calling me the “Juggernaut”

Empty beercans, yep I’ve been near Denmark this weekend and there ´s a clear trail off empty beercans all the way home

Keep this coming my friend, a feature off my DIII will hit your screen any week
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 05:41 AM UTC
Hey Larsa...........YOU, my friend, are the Juggernaut!!!!!!!!!! Your "featured" articles about put my SE5 and Abbie back into the box...........but then i wouldn't be having FUN..........so I kept at them. I finally Closed UP the SE5a today............Whew.........

Regards
Steve
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:31 AM UTC
I tried "messing" around with my SE5 and the wing struts with the PART PE brackets................how boring

I came back to the Abbie............at least I got the engine halves glued and mostly sanded. Working on the record of just how many of the spark plugs i can break off. Plan on replacing them anyway.

Mr surfacer 500 for the block and Mr Surfacer 1000 for the heads. and a lot of other stuff also.

Regards
Steve
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:53 AM UTC
A small update. I didn't really want to publish a photo just yet as I'm right in the middle of the engine, but the day has come to an end and so I might as well. A lot of the flaws will be carefully hidden under paint.

I moved the Cam Shaft housing back 1/2 a "block" to faciliated the roker arms as in my reference photos. I have seen a Mercedes D??? engine with the rockers where Roden has them, but that seems like an early engine. Anyway, mine is fixed in place and she ain't moving.

I rotated the right side spark plugs aft a bit as in my references also. Removed the Roden spark plugs and installed my "Version". Q-tips and wire.

I didnt have any hex bolts nor a hex punch..........so my bolts have all been over tightened and have been rounded off. I don't think it will matter much when "Peeking" down from the top cowling when done.

I had to scrape and cut and sand to get "air" between each cyclinder housing. Mine came with a lot of flash there.

Hopefully I am "close" to a Mercedes DIII here..............but it was fun getting here. Roden provided a very solid foundation to start with.

Got to get back to the SE.

Regards
Steve
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 01:36 PM UTC
not bad so far at all Steve , springs look really good , are you sure you don't want to try this in 48 scale ?! Order your self some nut's and Bolts from Copper State Models , I believe thet have these details in 32 . Model rail road has these as well same with car models Hope this helps in some way . Would be nice to have a hex punch !
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 04:16 AM UTC
Primed the basic engine with mr Surfacer 500 for case and Mr Surfacer 1000 for cylinders. Case is slightly rougher than the cyls now. Still have lots of pieces to go on. May spray the basic colors on before the fiddlies.

Lots of wotk for something that is going to be hard to see.

Regards
Steve
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 08:55 AM UTC
Done for the day. Back to the SE tomorrow. In the meantime I put the First coat of paint on the Mercedes engine. Nothing special with the Model master buffing metalizer blend between Aluminum Plate and Magnesium...................yes, it's way to bright but just wait. The black is my own blend of "Engine Black". But it's just the first coat. Lot's of parts............damage.........and repair to go.

Regards
Steve
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 02:34 PM UTC
Steve,
Really impressive engine work. kEEP ON MODELLING!
RAGIII
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 09:02 AM UTC
Suffered a setback with the engine. Plugs / and Wires didn't come out well. No...no pics of that. Have been ripped out without TOO much damage to the paint. Starting again.

All this came to light from a large resolution PHOTO of the darn thing................

The biggest setback was morale. Pics when I get the cables connected to the redesigned plugs.

Regards
Steve
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 04:19 PM UTC
That happens to all of us at one stage or another. Our own drive to get it right is the biggest delay in completions. This topic of references (higer res images) references
". . .1c.) Reference materials expand beyond available space.
1d.) The more second source reference materials(published by non-modelers) adds confusion, not clarification.
The solution here is to choose a 'school of thought' from informed sources. . . "

". . .Specifically the 'Law of Finite Differences' in modeling says that 'In most people's minds, the line between being different and being weird is thin and easily crossed. Also note that no one of your family or friends will ever take you seriously until you make money at this. Then its no longer a hobby. Now you have two jobs and no way to relieve the added stress. (The corollary is ‘don’t take yourself too seriously about your hobby. Enjoy it.). . ."

The Laws of Modeling 101
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 10:43 PM UTC
Stephen.............

Read your LAWS and I live by them. They are ALL absolutely true. Funny, but SOooooo true.

The Hi-Res "Issue" was not a reference photo issue but one of MINE.............of the subject. Brought out ALL the errors and workmanship.........(I guess poor workmanship).

Knowing that I had buggered it up was the cause for low morale. Ripped the stuff out (carefully of course), and started with a "simpler" less ambitious design.

One bad day..........that i couldn't get to end well. And I ALWAYS want to end a day on a good note. Had to wait until the next day. But got it going again. I'm still procrastinating on those SE struts with PE brackets.

Regards
Steve

Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 10:31 AM UTC
Sorry for the slow progress here. I'm trying to keep my focus on the SE5a build. I Do have a pilot, decals, and PE now. Now i need energy.

Regards
Steve
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry for the slow progress here. I'm trying to keep my focus on the SE5a build. I Do have a pilot, decals, and PE now. Now i need energy. Regards Steve

No worries Steve. These threads will be active long after the end of this group build. The holidays are particularly busy ( and draining) for everyone. Occassionaly it helps just to take a day off from routines and get a fresh perspective, You have two great projects going. Model On!
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 12:16 PM UTC
Hmmmm, in Stephen's SE5a build he made a comment that he had completed his Pledged Builds........

"Pledged builds"?? "On time"?? Gotta feeling my Abbie ain't-a-gonna make it.

I Pledge it will get done. When? Might have to enter it into the 2009 Builds.

Right now focused on the SE5a and it bites back.

Regards
Steve
 _GOTOTOP