_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Pour Le Merite 1/1 copies ?
jimlolok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 06:35 AM UTC
Having obtained the Eduard 2nd issue of the Fokker Dr.I / Albatros D.V combo with figures and small reproduction pin of the 'Blue Max' I got the idea for a shadow box dio using the 1/16th Eduard 'Red Baron' figure,The Roden 1/32nd Dr-1 but am now stuck..

The Eduard pin looks a little puny in there and after asking around I was told on another forum that a full size copy could be had for about $10 !! Well I have scanned the web and most copies I have seen go for around $40 up to $100..

So do any of you knowledgeable fellows know where I could find a 'Blue Max' at a reasonable price...
Any pointers would be most welcome.
Looking foreward to your advice.
Jim.
( Ex-pat Brit exiled to the wilds of Eastern Europe)
modelcellar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 75 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

I know of 2 places that I have seen repros... They aren't $10, but they ARE under $40.

One is $30 from a place called CastleKeep Ltd. Here is the link:
http://www.reenact.com/20german.html

And the other is $24.95 from a place called MilitaryTour .com. Here is their link:
http://www.militarytour.com/Reproductions/WW1/German/BlueMax.htm

Hope that helps. Happy hunting
Paul
www.modelcellar.com

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:54 AM UTC
The $10 versions are usually unpainted with a brass chain. $20 and up gets you a painted , two sided copy witha neck loop for the ribbon. Usually you find these in the back of Air Classics or aviation history magazines. I bought one as a kid. I never knew then (of course) that I would ever have access to the real deals.

At the Lafayette Foundation we have eight originalBlue Max medals from 1918. Two of these are the one sided versions meant for mounting on plaques or book covers. (Diary). Often a pilot that had won the award had one for dress and one for everyday. As long as they had the certificate they could go to any licensed jeweler to have it made. Women often rec'd miniature versions of their husband's awards that they could wear during formal occassions.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:57 AM UTC
I have one with the ribbon in proper proportions and colors, completely painted as the original. $20.00 plus shipping. PM me if interested.
RAGIII
 _GOTOTOP