_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
attempting to re grow my clipped wings
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 12:04 PM UTC

Yo people,
or hello to the more conservative of you, ( to be honest thats me)

so lets start again

Hello.

i am primerially an armour modeller, building 1/35 or 1/72, german or bristish subjects, i like to paint figures also, when i ahve my rattlecan of primer ¬¬
if you are from armorama you will know me for my ability to kill a topic instantly

anyway to buisness!! i started moddeling when i was around 8 on aeroplanes, it was only till recently (2-3 yrs ) that i was just pratting around:D albeit having fun,
of the few planes i have tried recently i ahve never got right, (my airbrush is rubbish and rarely used) what i can never seem to achieve on a aeroplane. is a good finish, it always ends up cruddy, from interior cockpit walls to wheel housings, and this gets ya down and puts you off,

also i have never sucessfully weathered an aircraft, is i shaded panel lines it always looked a bit naff, any of you hd the experience of trying to like a finished result , but actually know in your mind that it was crappy, i get that with planes:D
dont get me wrong, i love planes, hence my library of many plane books.

i stumbled across a section of the tamiya 1/48 kits in my lhs , there was a Swordfish, about 5 fw 190's about 3 spitfires, a modern us fighter, maybe a f18? a 162 Salamander many many 109's i thin aslo there was a fiseler storch, anyways, my friend who i am trying to get more into modelling picked up a me109, i did a bit of the painting on request, and found out i could not do a good wash on a plane, and when detail painting it looked a bit guff compared to the displys on here, ( she was quite pleased with it tho) ( i was pleased at the dashboard? as i have a thing about ot using decals for it, looks too flat?)
i was wondering what advice people could give on the kit to purchase, on washes and weathering, ( i have been throught the features, and find the weathering guides more geared to the A/B user.)

any help would be smashin'
all the best
James/Jimmy, whatever

ps; sorry for the length
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
AeroScale: 332 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 02:04 PM UTC
Get a Tamiya P-47M and load up on Eduard accessories then go on over to the Thunderbolt site and you will have more help than you could ever imagine.

Edit. Here is a link to one http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal8/7301-7400/gal7346-P-47-Oishi/00.shtm
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 04:12 PM UTC
Well normally I don't model WW2 subjects , but I do have a few in my stash.
Weathering aircraft is far different then armor , but the principles are the same . Key word is partice , practice and practice . You didn't say on what type of paint you use so I will tell you how I do it , or started to learn how .

Washes , after my main colour has dried I seal it with either gloss coat or future floor wax . word of caution if coated with future . Acrylic thinner will eat right through and make a big mess . When this has dried very well I mix small amounts of black paint just to add a light or dark tint to the thinner and using a wide brush draw this over the surface , let this dry . If you want it darker still go over it again when dried . Once every thing is fully dried I then dry brush . load paint on brush and wipe it off on a rage or something until barely any paint is left . drag this across the surface . This will hit any high spots . let dry and seal with dull coat . Dry brush your instrument panels , works like magic and and a drop of clear in the face and this will make them pop right out even more . Just start with the basic and learn your way up . I'm still learning new tricks as I go along . We all do !

As for which kit , well that's hard to say every one has there favorites and dislikes when it comes to kits . What ever you like to build !!!! just go with what you like and feel like building . Me , my thing is WW1 aircraft . I build Eduard kits , Roden kits , Blue Max kits , Special Hobby kits , Koster kits , Toms Model Works kits , Copper State Models kits , Pegasus kit's , Flashbacks kits , Gavia kits , Hobbycraft kits and I'm always added to this each one has their pro's and con's .

Must of the people here build either the Eduard kits , Tamiya kits and Hasegawa kits.

Hope this helps you out .
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 09:02 PM UTC
thankyou both for your responces:D

Kelly, im unsure if theres a p 47 in me lhs but ill have another look , i try to buy only pe and resin bits online due to the cost of postage, but i have heard its a easy kit to build, ( i think ) but man i cannot paint blue to save my life:D
the cockpit on that p 47 is immense, how much on average are the cockpit detail sets/exterior detail sets cus tbh with armour, i have spent more on resin figs that i have detail sets, and aint to great at fiddly pe:D ( i use two scalpels to bend it lol )

Terri, ah ww1, before i gave up the ghost on 'planes i did my fair share of the little £3.99 revell kits i suppose i got into moddeling through pc games, back when i was a kid ( well not to long ago im 19 ) there was this jazzy lil ww1 flight sim and i was obssesed! so ( i knew the basics cus dad made a few kits for me and i had a few under me belt) i went and picked up the Dr1, a Se5A , Pflaz's, Spad's and so on, they were fun but the wing spars drove me mental:D mt wings were alwats lop sided.
i keep peeking at the ww1 page and all i see is Roden 1/32 build log all the way down the page, and im definatly gonna have to get me one of those when i get back into it, its lucky as my lhs supplies the 72'nd roden kits so im sure they would eb able to order in a 32'nd

i paint with tamiya acrylics, i know people have had trouble brush painting them , but it seems to only be the greys, or bright colours that dont brush well.
and me last attempt at sealing a kit inb a clear coat was awful, i prodeded to do a wash but it wouldnt stick to the gloss surface, nor would acrylic, was quite confusing,
would be nice if my good airbrush was fixed, ( i have an iwata, but the nozzley bit snapped...)

thankyou both for your tips and advice,
a im hoping to be jumping straight into the frying pan very soon

calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 02:12 AM UTC
You can build the kit p-47 d or m without the pe and it turns out swell and is quite easy to build I would say pe for aircraft and for armour all depens on how much you want as to the cost. I build most with out anything but what came with it. Terri is the one to listen to on weathering as that is not my strong suit I like nice shinny aircraft one with a good crew cheif that won't let it get run down .
Just grab a kit dive in and you'll be surprised how easy and fun it is...
Later,
Kelly
redcobra04
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
AeroScale: 44 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 03:09 AM UTC
I dont normally plug a lot of sites, But this a good site to look at for planes. Lots of good tips and completed models swannymodels.com. Sorry cant highlite it, Good luck. Andy
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 10:34 AM UTC
I'm sure the guy's will like swannymodels but swannysmodels might be more revelant to this site. Then again,.......... http://www.swannysmodels.com/
Later,
Kelly
redcobra04
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
AeroScale: 44 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 01:31 PM UTC
So Sorry I Left Out A S
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 11:11 PM UTC
I thought it was me and until I googled it and found out
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 11:38 AM UTC
hello, everyone, thankyou for the link its quite a helpful site and is bookmarked:D

kelly, thankyou for the P47 suggestion, but i will be straying from the allied airspace a lil at the moment, althought its still hanging in my mind
i have decided to have a pop at ( holds breath) the Heinkel 162 "salamander" purely because i like the german "experimentals" (even if it did go into service, it looks experimental to me haha)
and with the change from that, i may get the spitfire 1b or i may not, depending on how confident i feel.
if anyone has any tips, again, i would be glad to hear them, ( i know for a fact , my paintjob will be naff:D )

Kelly you can hold me to a p47 , i will do one
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 10:02 PM UTC
i wont open up a new thread for this one, im just wondering, if the current detailsets, (res cockpit and radio and gun bays will fit in yonder tamiya hs 162
 _GOTOTOP