_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Aerial tips please
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 08:34 PM UTC
One of the hardest things I find is fitting aerial wire. The aerial mast to tailplane type. Any tips on techniques and/or materials? I work in 1/72 scale.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 02:42 AM UTC
Jaypee , you can use many different items for this and modelers have there fav ............

I've tried different ones every thing from strectch spruce to fine wire . I found what works the best is invisible thread , and smoked inviible thread . The clear can be paint any colour you like , black felt maker works the best . It has been along time since I have done a WW2 kit so I don't think my methods of rigging will work (WW1) so I would try and a fix one end to the rudder point with super glue and the when dry , pull and lay the other end on top of the mast a fix with super glue once this has dried trim off excess and concetores can be made form white glue or a really think super glue . now just paint the details .

Hope this helps you out Jaypee !
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 04:19 AM UTC
Perversely I find rigging easier as you can drill a hole for the rigging to go into. It is really a case of getting the superglue to stick to what I want when I want it too. Sometimes it just won't stick at all then other times it bonds really fast. Usually the wire to my tweezers.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 05:41 AM UTC
Sorry Jaypee misunderstood , I have had this happen before and would like to know why that happens . if the glue is setting slow you can use a mix of baking soda in water , about a t-spoon to one cup of water . with a brush apply a small drop of the mixture and the glue will dry instantly .

I know what you mean on having the part not stick to where you want it to go , but stays on the tweezers !
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 265 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hi Jaypee,

I use fishing line for aerial wire. It can easily be stuck with superglue and then all you need to do is run a flame nearby to tighten it up.

Hope this helps,

mike
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 11:43 AM UTC
thanks terri and mike, cheap accelerator and with the tighten by heat no need to have the wire under tension while gluing. I'll give these a go.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 01:27 PM UTC
I use a product called EZ Line. It stretchs to 700% and works extremely well for antennas. Drill a small hole in the tail/vertical stabilizer. Apply a small bit of super glue and insert the line into the hole. Once dry, simply stretch the line towards the other end, it stretches nic and tight. Put down another small bitof CA to the mast and touch the EZ Line to it. It cures really quickly when it comes in contact with the CA. Once saitisfied, you can cut any excess off with scissors or a sharp #11. Hope this helps. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP