_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
4 or 5 Color Lozenge--Which More Common?
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 07:47 AM UTC
I am under the impression that the 5 color pattern was used on more different types of German aircraft than the 4 color pattern. Is that a fair assessment?

Thanks.

Karl
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 12:49 PM UTC
Karl,

Welcome. Do yourself a favor and read through Stephen Lawsons thread on Lozenge here in the forums. Almost all the questions you have regarding lozenge will be answered there.

Regards, Dwayne
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 02:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Karl, Welcome. Do yourself a favor and read through Stephen Lawson's thread on Lozenge here in the forums. Almost all the questions you have regarding lozenge will be answered there. Regards, Dwayne

Thanks for your vote of confidence Dwayne. Here is that link for you Karl.
Click Here.

Which was most common? Not an easy question to answer because you are not asking specifics. Generally speaking in the Fall 1917 - early Spring 1918 there was only 5 colour lozenge. In spring of 1918 the Four Colour was developed and introduced by Fokker Co. First seen on the Fokker E.V & D.VI & early Fokker D.VII types. The four colour was later sold by Fokker Schwerin / Gorries to Alb. & OAW when their stocks were short and delivery from textile mills was slack. So in mid to late 1918 it was about even.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 04:18 PM UTC
Also have a look at Stephens Texturing Lozenge as well. His effect with this method is simply amazing .
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 11:12 AM UTC
Are you wanting to know for general knowledge, or is it in regards to a certain aircraft type?
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 12:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are you wanting to know for general knowledge, or is it in regards to a certain aircraft type?

In general, were more different types of German aircraft finished with 4 or 5 color lozenge? I am asking about numbers of different aircraft, as opposed to sheer numbers of one particular airplane. For example--numerically, there may have been more total numbers of Fokker D.VII fitted with 4 color lozenge, but when looking at all the different aircraft ever fitted with lozenge, which pattern was used more often?

In other words--let's say I have a collection of German aircraft models ranging in time from when lozenge first started being used until the end of the war. The collection includes one example each of all the different aircraft which were ever fitted with lozenge. For example: one each of the different C types ever fitted with lozenge, one each of different D types ever fitted with lozenge, one each of the different J types ever fitted with lozenge, etc, etc, etc, etc--a diverse collection of single and multi-seat aircraft, early and late, fitted with lozenge. Would 4 or 5 color lozenge predominate in such a collection?

I am under the impression that the 5 color pattern was used among more different types of aircraft than the 4 color--but that's just my impression. While I appreciate those who directed me toward Mr. Lawson's excellent multi-part treatise on lozenge, I have read it through twice, and do not believe he explicitly addresses that particular question.

Thank you,

Karl

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 03:27 PM UTC
Which was most common? Not an easy question to answer because you are not asking specifics. Generally speaking in the Fall 1917 - early Spring 1918 there was only 5 colour lozenge. In spring of 1918 the Four Colour was developed and introduced by Fokker Co. First seen on the Fokker E.V & D.VI & early Fokker D.VII types. The four colour was later sold by Fokker Schwerin / Gorries to Alb. & OAW when their stocks were short and delivery from textile mills was slack. So in mid to late 1918 it was about even.
 _GOTOTOP