_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Is There Much Difference (Zero`s)
squeeky1968
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 315 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:06 AM UTC
Hi gang,
Quick question,is there much difference externally between the Mitsubishi A6M2 and the A6M5 Zero.
I`m asking coz being a movie fan and modeller i`d like to do one of the ill-fated zeros from the film "The Final Countdown" (splash two zeros),but i can`t find any in this scale.I have just bought the 21st century toys kit of the M5 but was wondering anyway
I know that they might be T-6`s done up to look like zeros but it`s one of my favourite scenes from Hollywood.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 11:18 AM UTC
Hi Danny,

Tamiya has done a 1/32 scale model of the A6M2 (kit N°60317)...

The fuselage remained very similar, but the engine and wings changed between the 2 and 5 versions. The camouflage changed also. I don't think there ever was an A6M5 in the white camouflage of the movie.

Jean-Luc
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 12:18 PM UTC
I just found the trailer for Final Countdown. They are vis-mod T-6's. As I recall, some of the large Japanese flight scenes are from Tora!Tora!Tora!.
So, you could challenge yourself to vis-mod a T-6 into a Hollywood/airshow Zero.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
AeroScale: 131 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 04:18 AM UTC
Here's my two cents, you can do one of three things:

1) an accurate remake of the movie scene, this requires modifying T-6s into Zeros, ala the Commemorative Air Force (there are only one or two flying Zeros in existence, and they are late models and rarely used in movies.)

2) use Zeros models that could have been encountered in 1941, this means an M2. There are physical differences between the M2 and M5, including armament options, armor, engine size and exhaust system, among others. The engine change from the M2 to the M3 required a change in the cowling.

3) use your M5, after all, the movie was a fantasy. An M2 might be correct based on time period but wasn't in the movie.

John
 _GOTOTOP