_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
1/32 F/A-18 Update: slight accident
badpony
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 07:47 PM UTC
well, I hit a slight bump in the road. I don't have a set modelling bench so I do my work on a portable tray type table. I accidently backed into the table with my chair and knocked over everything. My Hornet's fuselage hit the ground, the ejection seat, well, ejected to under my chair where I ran it over But, to make a good out of a bad, I ordered a resin seat from camdecals.com :-) In the mean time, I have some major sub-assemblies done and I hope to paint next week if all goes well. The front fuselage, the basic wing structures, main flaps, the famous Hornet strakes and engines/air intakes combo are complete. Sorry about the long write, onto the pictures now!

basic wing assemble and main flaps. Academy allows you to pose the flaps and slats at 4 different angles. In the right of the picture, it my ejection patched together, but looking terrible

engine with air intakes and the famous Hornet strakes

front fuselage. The hole is for optionly foreign versions which have a fuselage mouted spotlight.

forward landing gear, pre-weathered.

in another Hornet thread, someone asked for a head on shot of the instrument panel, here's the best I could do

Sorry about the long post. Next update, it'll be looking like a Hornet, enjoy!
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 10:06 PM UTC
When I first started reading the post my knees were beginning to buckle for the pain I was feeling for ya. Glad to hear that something good came out of the unplanned ejection.
The Bug is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see what she looks like in the next update. I just hope it has no more run ins with the plastic hating chair... #:-)
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 01:10 AM UTC
man thats gonna be one sweet bird, cant wait to see it finished, please keep the pics coming

Bender
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 01:28 AM UTC
Nice cockpit. Do you dry-brush the controls or 'dot' each individual one?

Good job - keep up the good work
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 02:24 AM UTC
Your work is looking good!!

Sorry about the ejection seat. The CAM seat is probably nicer than the kit one anyway. Based on what I have seen, the only shortcoming the kit has is the ejection seat. Academy is infamous for this. Have you ever seen their version of the Soviet K-36 ejection seat in the Sukhoi SU-27? It looks like they molded a La-Z-boy recliner and put it in the airplane.

Keep the pics coming...

Scott
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 04:42 AM UTC
Looking real good there, Pony. I can't wait to see it finished.
keenan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 04:53 AM UTC
I feel for ya. I can't tell you how many times I have found the part I was looking for on the floor by hearing the crunch as I stepped on it. If it had been me, I would have spilled paint or glue on the carpet, compounding the problem. Model looks A-One. Can't wait to see it finished...
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
AeroScale: 217 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 05:32 AM UTC
man...if only I had a dollar for everytime thats happened to me......Id' have.....uh...a couple dollars...........Thats gonna be one mean looking bird ya gots their when your through.........
badpony
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 11:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

man thats gonna be one sweet bird, cant wait to see it finished, please keep the pics coming

Bender

I based the panel light ghost grey, dotted the instruments with flat black, then drybrushed alittle with aluminum. I went back and did some of the faces with a toothpick dipped in white. The yellow is toothpick painted, with the black lines drawn by a technical ink pen from a office supply store. It was a tendious process

thanks for the compliments everyone. The ejection seat from CAM arrived today. I just washed it off so I hopee to paint it tomorrow, maybe tonight.
badpony
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 11:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your work is looking good!!

Sorry about the ejection seat. The CAM seat is probably nicer than the kit one anyway. Based on what I have seen, the only shortcoming the kit has is the ejection seat. Academy is infamous for this. Have you ever seen their version of the Soviet K-36 ejection seat in the Sukhoi SU-27? It looks like they molded a La-Z-boy recliner and put it in the airplane.

Keep the pics coming...

Scott

Their MiG-29 kit is the same way. I'm thinking of picking up Aires' cockpit superdetail set for when I start that plane. Academy provides 2 seats with the kit. I'll slap the other one tongether and get some side by side photos with the CAM seat.
 _GOTOTOP